question for military wives

this question is really for my MIL. her nerves are all wrecked because she hasnt heard anything from my BIL about whats going on. His wife is 7 months preg and as soon as he is finished with school in a few weeks he is being stationed in Germany. My MIl is curious if the military is going to pay for my SIL to have housing here until the baby is born and for a short time after until she is able to get the babies passport until she is able to join him in Germany? Will they pay for her or are they only going to pay for his housing or will they pay for her housing as long as he lives in the barracks? Has anyone went through this or do you have a dh that is in another country right now and they are paying for both..please answer.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When my husband first joined the Army we were not married. We got married right after he graduated from Basic Training so I was not on his orders. Once he got to his duty station in Germany then he got the paperwork started to get me over there. He stayed in the barracks until he could get housing. Once I got over there (which was about1 1/2 months after he did) then they reimbursed us for the BAH starting with the month that we got married and ending in the month that he got the housing set up. My friend on the other hand was in a similar situation as what you were talking about. She had to stay behind until she had the baby. What they did was put her husband in the barracks and gave them BAH. The money was apart of his paycheck. She did not receive a separate check or deposit. I would suggest that they set up a joint account if they don't have one already.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Forgot to add that BAH stands for Basic Allowance for Housing.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When going overseas, the tour MUST be accompanied in order for the spouse to move there... If he is to be stationed there before her due date and can get permission to accompany him, she can go there with him to Germany. If she stays behind, he can be given the opportunity to live in the barracks, but if there is no barracks rooms available (they must keep a percentage open), then he will have to live either in on-post housing or off-posting housing, which will require him to use the BAH to house himself. If he is given permission to live in the barracks and keep his BAH (sometimes they take it), then he will receive BAH for where he is stationed, not where the spouse is located. He will then have to set up an allotment to his spouse, or have a joint checking acct for her to access the money.

Make sense?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• He should be able to ask questions to his superiors and receive answers. They will always make sure everything is 100 percent squared away before stationing someone anywhere (especially in another country.) But first, make sure his tour is accompanied, so she can live in Germany. If his wife or child has any medical problems that require a specialist, then they must be enrolled in EFMP (program ensures medical care can be properly provided at duty station.) Another thing to research and consider is deployments before she moves to Germany. Her husband CAN be deployed shortly after moving to Germany. I have seen some deploy within a month of getting to their duty stations. So it is best to see how much dwell time a unit has been in (normally they get one year)..and if a deployment is pending in the near future.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm sure my BIL and SIL both have answers they just dont tell anyone anything. For some reason they keep everything to themselves until the very last minute and my MIL is freaking out. thanks though
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010