hyper son..

my son is extremely hyper an active all he wants to do is play.. he is showing signs that hes hungry but hell take a few sips an back to playing he goes..

any advice on how to get him to eat? should i just let him burn all his energy an wiat for him to want it more? hes only 7 months old.. i thought this would be happening way later on!

akalei

Asked by akalei at 2:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is entirely normal at this age, Babies are starting to notice EVERYTHING and want to explore thier world. If you truly think there is a problem talk to your ped but honestly it sounds like hes a curious baby who wants to try new things.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I always stuck to a fairly ridged schedule. When it was time to eat, they went into their highchair and ate....they couldnt take a sip and go...it was time to sit and eat.....do you use a highchair...it might help him focus a little more on the task at hand.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's tough at this age, but I do think it helps to have a routine. Eating at similar times everyday, and eating in the same spot can all be helpful cues that it is mealtime. If you are nursing or bottle feeding it might help to go into another room where all of his toys aren't right in front of him waiting to be played with, and no tv or other distractions might help him focus, too. I tried really hard not to battle with my daughter over food though. I would offer and give her ample time to eat but I don't have a clean your plate rule or anything. I just figure that she won't starve herself and she will eat if she is hungry. But I also refuse to constantly offer food all day long, or make ten things at lunch time for her, etc. If she doesn't eat much in the morning she won't get malnurished by lunch, you know?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh sorry didnt see the 7month part....guess he is still mainly bottle feeding?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• This is very normal for this age, they are just discovering the fascinating things around them and exploring their world. They tend to get distracted very easily. Just keep offering food and when your baby is hungry, they will eat. It's a phase and it does start to mellow out after a while.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010