How old were your kids when they started to clue in???

I know there are adults who cannot find their way out of a paper bag..... so it would make sense that there are teenagers who dont have a clue when it comes to directions. But I am getting soooooo annoyed.

I have a 15 yr old daughter who wants to get her driving permit this October and she is totally clueless how to get places, where places are, and where places are in comparison to other places. She has lived in the same house/town since she was 4... you would think she would clue in by now... but duh.

How many other people have had this issue with their teens?
Did you allow them to drive or wait until they had a clue?
I am at wits end with this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I had one who could find his way anywhere. I had another who couldn't get out of a bag. We had to work on map reading. Maps of town and such. He wasn't allowed to get his permit until he could show us he could do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• To tell you the truth I didnt really pay much attention until I started driving myself. It will probably help her remember if she is the one driving.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• really my 5 yr old can tell you which way to go to get somewhere. Its funny..if i'm gonna go a different way than what i would normally go to the movie theater or something he will say "mom, you are going the wrong way"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Once she drives herself places she will learn. As a passenger, you are not forced to pay attention. My kids did not have this issue, but do call from time to time for directions if they have never driven to a certain place before.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Kids have no idea how to get from point A to point B because they aren't the ones that have been driving all these years. Be patient and give clear directions.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes but it will come as they drive.We gave our 19 yr old a GPS when she started driving.We will give them to the younger ones also.Watching her trying to follow a mapquest map while she was driving ,and could figure it out on her own thank you very much,almost gave me a stress attack.I did take the map and told her she could do it on her own a different time.Love GPS

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010