My baby is 4 days old, she has been switch to soy formula because she kept spiting up regular formula.. but she has been really fussy all day today and I do't know what to do...

she seems like her tummy is hurting her which soy isn't suppose to do that right? she isn't spiting up anymore with this formula but just seems a lot more fussy with it... I tried calling doc and they are closed for the day, GREAT!!! know what???

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 2:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not trying to judge at all, but maybe it's the formula in general. Are you giving her any breast milk? If you can, I'd give her as much breast milk as possible, especially at this age, even if you have to supplement with formula. Breast milk can help their digestive system. As for switching to soy, I'd definitely call your doctor and ask about this tomorrow.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Did you try breastfeeding her? It's probably not too late to do so if you're open to trying.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It could be just the switch to a different formula. I'd give it another day and if she doesnt stop then contact a doctor. Also did you just switch to soy or did you mix half soy with half regular. and then do all soy?
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I couldn't breastfeed - i tried for 2 months and he was worse on my breast than formula but I had him on soy also and it didn't lessen that much - I would try gripe water - that is a natural aide for digestion and can also help colic symptoms/ hiccups etc. good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Grip water helped my son but it is no cure all. Maybe the baby is gassy or constipated as formula will do to them often. Try a warm towel from the dryer on her tummy. Some babies have immature digestive systems and it takes awhile to out grow it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Try breast feeding or keep trying the soy and I agree use (grape) water drops, it helps to settle sour tummies. Good luck! Keep calling the docs.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It could take a bit for your baby's system to adjust to the soy formula.

My daughter always spit up the regular formulas, even soy formulas, and we started buying her the Parent's Choice with Added Rice Starch, and she held it down like a champ. The added rice starch made the formula thicker than normal formulas, so she was able to hold it down great.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She's only 4 days old...why did you make a formula switch already? That just seems odd that you'd do it so early on in life before giving the formula a try. If you can express some breastmilk, do that. It's more easily digested than any formula you would buy.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son spit everywhere all the time no matter what formulat we gave him. My daugher was breastfed but had a lot of gas and tummy issues. It takes a while for their systems to regulate. It's only been 4 days so I would wait this out. You don't want to keep switching formulas every day, that will make it worse. At 4 days old it could just be overstimulation or simple newborn fussiness trying to adjust to the outside world. Hugs and hang in there, it does get better!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Soy formula isn't even good for them. But, she hasn't even been born long enough to already have issues. Try nursing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010