I'm afraid my 2 year old son is going to cause a wreck or fall out of the moving car!

He has figured out to unbuckle the top part of his car seat. (the part that buckles at his chest.) Yesterday, I was at a red light and heard the back car door open. He had unbuckled the top part and opened the door! The locks & windows are manual, and he knows how to unlock the door! Needless to say, this about gave me a heart attack! We can't really afford to go out and buy a new carseat, and even if we did it would only be a matter of time before he figured that one out, as well! I've tried telling him no, spanking his hand (I don't spank yet, I think he's too young. Just a spat on the hand for now.) I can't put him in time-out for it! Any suggestions? I'm so scared he's going to do this going down a busy highway or he's going to figure out how to un buckle the bottom part, too, and fall out!

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• Like everything else they learn to do that we don't want them to do, it takes time for them to learn that it's a no-no and to obey.
    Start doing a "seat belt" check when everyone is in the car. Ask HIM if everyone has a seat belt on. Go through everyone - showing him the belts and saying things like "yes, mommy is buckled in". Once he agrees that everyone has a seat belt, say "Great, that means we can start the car!". You are making him the "seat belt boss" to help get his cooperation.
    If he undoes his seatbelt, pull over and tell him "NO! Danger!" then tell him to do it back up. If he can undo it, he can do it up too. Then repeat the "does everyone have a seat belt" routine.
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Some places sell these clips that attach to both sides of the upper straps..Some are made of metal some plastic. My stepson did the same thing & he cant open the clip now.
    Anonymous

• I am pretty sure that you can buy covers for the buckles. I know I've seen them for seatbelts. Check babies R us, one step ahead, safety 1st and target and wal-mart. I babysit a 2 year old who wiggles out of the top part of the seat when I have her in the car, I understand how scary it can be!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with all the other moms on here about the seat belt covers. Try and see if that works. I know you can find the seat belt covers at Walmart. As for the opening of the door....Well do you have child locks on your car doors in the back. I thought that most cars had them. I always had to put the child lock on my car doors cause my kids always pulled on the handle to open it. So check to see if you have a child lock on your car doors.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried turnning the buckle around? If it's one with a button that mgiht help. Also, see if you can find the child safety locks on the doors and lock the windows if you car is capable.
    Anonymous

• Is he put in the middle? That might limit his reach to the doors even if he gets it undone. Does your car have the kid proof back doors where you can flip a switch and make it so you can open it from the outside but not from the inside? My only other thought is to pick up a $2 pack of zip ties and keep a pair of scissors in the car...lol...a little extreme, but bet he can't get that undone!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• A little visual aid might help him understand how dangerous cars can be. Take a box of dry food, noodles or cereal or something, and a plastic bottle half full of red kool aid. Put them in the street and drive over them. Take him to see what is left after you run them over. That might make him see that cars are dangerous. Explain the car seat makes him safe. I'd also seriously duct tape his top clip and make him slide in and out the bottom so he can't get out of the seat anymore. 2's are scary scary because they don't understand the danger they can get themselves into.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I bought an extra lock clip on Ebay it helped a bit (took longer for my son to get out). Plus they have buckle locks, where they can't undo the buckle of course my son could figure this out. my son finally gave up after awhile. Yes it IS scary.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I never thought of the zipties..that seems like a good solution I wish someone would have told me when It was happening w/my son. He grew out of it thank god. I would also not drive anywhere and just send him to time out if he even attempted to do it while within a mile of the house, I'd drive straight home. They'll want to go somehwere and eventually get the picture.
    Anonymous

• Try pushing the latch part of the carseat up by his neck raather than by his chest, that way he can't see what he's doing to unlatch it.
    Another thing about this that concerns me is the fact that the child safety latch on the doors... you know the one that keeps the child from being able to open the door in the back seat of the car... should be set if the child has figured out how to open the door...
    nic95490

Answer by nic95490 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2008