Do you think its important to teach your kids about God, and why?

When I grew up, I was exposed to Sunday School for a short time and eventhough my parents did not continue taking us much past kindergarten, I always felt God was watching over me and I could talk to Him and get comfort from Him. Later in life when I was a mom and stressed out and having panic attacks, I remembered that childhood relationship with God and it brought me back into a relationship with Him - which brought peace, the peace that passes all understanding , into my life. So, I think its important to make God known to your children.

GrammaSusan

Asked by GrammaSusan at 2:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that is totally up to the parent and the child, I went to church when I was younger, I believe in God and believe that Jesus was sent to save us from ourselves and that he died on the cross for us. My son is now 6 and has been going to church for two years by his own choice and I talk to him about God, I felt I had to when he seen my grandmother dying in the hospital and after she had passed away so he would understand death a little better. Of course it kind of freaked me out a little when one morning he got in the bed with me, later he woke up and was talking to someone and it woke me up. I asked who he was talking to and he said mawmaw, and I believe it.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i definatly think making something known to your children is a good thing and give them hope and make life easier.
    but it doesnt have to be the god that some read about in the bible.
    theres also the universe, and spirits, and mother nature, and all those things..
    the bible can hurt more then it helps sometimes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• For those who believe in God - it is an obvious yes. For those who dont believe in God - I would still say it is a concept you need to explain to your children... and Im sure there will be a different spin on it. But we have taught our child "what" something is (concept) even if it isnt something we necessary do/believe in.... because knowledge is good. We need our children to understand what others believe... even if it is/is not what we believe. There is no reason to hide a concept from a child simply because you dont believe in it.

All things being age appropriate.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't think it's necessarily important. While for some it might be helpful or beneficial, for others it is no more than a fairy tale. I find that simply being in your child's life and helping them out and raising them to be good people and teaching them coping skills works just as well with or without God.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I believe it will be important to raise my son with a well rounded education about religions and the various beieves and allow his heart to guide him.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think, for me and my child, it's important that I expose him to my idea of God. I'll explain to him that this is what I believe, but not everyone does. I'll encourage him, but not force him. I truly DO believe in God, so I'm not going to lie, I want him to as well. I'll take him to church (unitarian universalist), and hopefully that will expose him to the idea of different beliefs, but still the spirituality that they all encompass.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

the bible can hurt more then it helps sometimes."

I totally agree.
    LovingSAHMommy

• My children will have the choice on wether or not they wish to believe in god. Until they are old enough I have strictly said to those who influence my childrens lives that no mention of god is to be made around them, along with the bible etc.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I strongly think that childern should be taught about God and his powers. I belive its the way of life. Everyone has the chance to know him and the younger you introduce them the better life will be. Childern raised with God in their lives will be better off. and if a time comes when they are older and choose not to go to church its their choice. They will belive what they want to all you can do is lead them in the right direction.
    Amber31109

Answer by Amber31109 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Childern raised with God in their lives will be better off

Can you give specific examples of how becasue this sounds like a rather judgemental statement to make and implies a great many things that are not true.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010