Is is normal???? adult content

My 8 yr old daughter seems to sleep all the time. She goes to bed around 9pm and wakes between 8 and 10 am. Most days she takes a nap that lasts 1 to 2 hours too. Is it normal???

cricketdawn81

Asked by cricketdawn81 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Glad you are taking her to the doctor to check her out. 13 hours of sleep a night PLUS a nap in the afternoon seems a little too much sleep for an 8 year old (but who am I?). My daughter is almost 8 and she sleeps about 10 hours a day, give or take an hour. Some kids require more sleep than others though. At least when you get her checked out you'll know more if this is what she needs.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Anemia might be a possibility, I agree. She might also have an issue that's interrupting her sleep, something that is causing her to wake up regularly during the night so she isn't actually sleeping all that time. Have you noticed her tossing and turning or even snoring?
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Not at that age no.Unless she literally growing before your eyes,you need to mention this to her doctor.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Wow...some people do need more sleep than others, but even when my 8yo DD is extremely tired or extra active the most she'll sleep is an 11 hour night, and she definitely won't take a nap - I try to make her but she "can't". I'd be asking the doctor if my DD was sleeping that much. One question though, has she always slept that much or has it been a fairly recent thing for her?
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She's always slept quite a bit and seemed more tired. I just called and made her an appt with her doc so maybe we can figure it out. I think she may be anemic.
    cricketdawn81

Comment by cricketdawn81 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Growth spurt?? Not sure!

Hopefully the Dr can tell you what's going on! Hope everything turns out okay!
    Marshallsmom422

Answer by Marshallsmom422 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She sleeps like a log and I haven't noticed snoring.
    cricketdawn81

Comment by cricketdawn81 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• it might be that she is not getting the sleep that she needs my daughter has sleep apnia and so even though she sleeps its not the deep sleep she should be getting and she stops breathing so she will sleep from 8pm till some time 11am but i would talk to her doc about it good luck
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No she needs to be more active. Or find some friends to play with at that age. But she maybe depressed so id consult your doctor on that one.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 10:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2010