How would you answer this question?

I have a job interview coming up and I know the first thing they'll say is "tell us a little about yourself". I'm never sure how to answer. How have you answered this?

MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would write it down now that way you have enought time to think about what you will say and the interviewer is not over you making you nervious. And it being on paper may give you some ideas about yourself you wouldn't have thought about in the interview. But don't take the paper with you on the interview...lol. GL & GB
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Is this a field /job title you have experience in? If so, tell them what you are(job title) what you have done (best project) and what you can do for them. Such as I am an outstanding B2B sales rep, who made president club 3 years in a row and I can bring you x number of new clients this year. Don't talk about your childhood or your personal life. They want to know that you will make them money. Tell them how.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When we interviewed for our company we also liked to hear the person talk about some of their positive personal attributes, like I'm dependable, punctual, compassionate, work well on a team, etc. Be honest though. Nothing worse than saying something that is not genuine. GL
    Anonymous

• All the time.. tell them what u would look for in a person if u were in their shoes..
    hillaryb1986

Answer by hillaryb1986 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Do not mention anything personal! For example: I started out in commerical and industrial lighting sales; over the years I discovered that I my strength is with people and numbers, and I moved into roles on the operations side.

I do career and job search coaching; if you contact me offlist, I will be happy to help you get ready!

Do not forget to send a thank you not to everyone you meet with.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 AM on Jul. 30, 2010