what really happens in mental institutions?!!!!

my brother has been in a mental institution since Jun 23rd for schitzophrenia. After a couple of days I noticed that he was getting better. My mother went to visit him and she was told me that he was ready to get out and what he planned on doing when he got out such as get a job, apartment ect. We (my brother and myself) aslo had this conversation over the phone (i live 3 hrs away). For the past couple of weeks I have not been able to talk to him, I always get an excuse. My mother went to visit him today and my brother will not talk. I dont know if he does not want to talk or cannot talk I really dont know. The staff will not talk to his parent or no one else about how he is doing. What do you think about this situation and what would you do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Health

• I would drive, along with my mother to the institution to see for myself what was going on. Also maybe bring along his family doctor. That sounds strange.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would drive to where he isget your parents and go to where he is.... and demand that you be able to see him.Don't leave until you get answers.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 3:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• dang...we need edit on these questions... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Cochise

• Ok, it could be a number of things many institutions take very good care of the patients. He could be having a struggle, it could be new medications isn't agreeing with him. If you mom goes there she should talk to his doctor and therapists and ask if something has occured that would be upsetting him. As for not letting you talk to him, it could be he doesn't want to talk to you, he could be depressed, struggling etc. Maybe it got close to when he was going to leave and he got scared because he feels safer there, or maybe he has had some kind of relapse. Where you are too far away to get there, I would get your mom to go and get some answers. Then you would know if something is going on you should be concerned with. If he's of age and he's own person, unless he gives permission, they can't tell anyone anything. Just get information before you feel like he's being abused or anything.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If he doesn't want to talk then there's not much you can do. It's standard procedure to not give any information out about adults in mental institutions. Keep calling and hopefully in a few days you can get him on the phone.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010