Feeling guilty about not putting my child in church.....

I didn ot grow up in church and my husband's mother is VERY religious so he grew up in church. He doesn't see the big deal about going but since I didn't grow up going I would like my daughter to go. If I am feeling guilty, does that mean that I should put her in church? I don't think that you have to go to church to be a christian because I am a good person. Just wondering what these guilty feelings mean. Anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That I can't tell you, maybe it's not that you should put her in church but if she's old enough let her make the decision if she would like to go. I don't believe that you have to go to church to be a Christian because a lot of people who go every Sunday are ONLY good Christians on Sunday the rest of the week they have bad words to say to people, they use profanity they think bad about other people, and all that stuff.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• But I do wonder why churches have to keep building up, spending so much money to build a bigger church or not even the church itself but other parts of the church, I remember when I was younger and went to church it was in a small one room building, and before they had church in a building it was done outside in the open. anyways... just thought I'd ask maybe someone could explain that one to me.
    Tabatha42183

Answer by Tabatha42183 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I feel guilty too for not taking my 5 yr old to church, but took my first 3 to church and bible school, things like that. It is mainly because we now live in a small town and don't care for the churches around here.
    I do however teach my son about Jesus and God...I do not want him growing up thinking "GOD" is a term used in a sentence and I want him to know when the people in his dad's family says, the "JesusChrist" in a sentence it is not cool, and why it is not cool.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• maybe your 'guilt' feelings are stemming from you thinking you missed out on something, and you don't want your kids to miss out. if your dh was forced to go, perhaps that's why he has no interest now?? idk.
    we always want our kids to have more than we had..maybe this is one of those things. take them to church. take them to different churches. if you find one you like, continue going. its as simple as that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as being in a garage makes you a car.

I love that saying because it so applies to so many people!!!

Maybe the "guilt" you feel is actually "faux guilt". In other words, your "very religious" MIL is trying to make you feel neglectful or something similar for not taking your daughter (her precious granddaughter) to church. You shouldn't feel pressured into going because then you will get nothing out of the experience. You will feel resentful about being there.

I hope things work out for you.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• you have that guilty feeling, probably because the faith makes you feel guilty for not going. If they didnt make people feel guilty in the first place i'm sure you wouldnt feel this way. If you wanna give it a try, take her to sunday school and attend a service yourself. If she doesnt like it, don't force her to go. You can teach the same values at home.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't think you should do it because you feel guilty or because your MIL wants you to. You said you wanted to because you didn't grow up going.  If you want to go to church with your daughter you should because you want to.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i don't understand your feeling of need to put your daughter in church when you didn't go and it's not important to her other parent. what is your thinking behind that? what do you think she will gain there? are you prepared to support her in spiritually growing as a christian when that is not your personal belief? i don't get the guilt thing here...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have to be honest................

If you do not go or the Family, does not go.

The children, will not be interested.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010