what really happens in mental institutions?

my brother has been in a mental institution since Jun 23rd for schitzophrenia. After a couple of days I noticed that he was getting better. My mother went to visit him and she was told me that he was ready to get out and what he planned on doing when he got out such as get a job, apartment ect. We (my brother and myself) aslo had this conversation over the phone (i live 3 hrs away). For the past couple of weeks I have not been able to talk to him, I always get an excuse. My mother went to visit him today and my brother will not talk. I dont know if he does not want to talk or cannot talk I really dont know. The staff will not talk to his parent or no one else about how he is doing. What do you think about this situation and what would you do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I say get him out as soon as possible and help him deal with his illness. I have a sister who is like that but we would never dream of putting her away like that. You never know about those places believe that but tell tour mom to bring him home before it gets worse they can be cruel in those places. Some people go in but never come home the same. Thats why we have crime to a point. Help him while you can. A good book/movie to read or see is girl interupted that will give you an idea on these places and it is a true story about susanna kaysen and what happened to her later after she got out. Seriously look it up youll see.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• They are not run like they used to be..Depending on the state they are decent places. My guess is that something was said in therapy and he just doesn't want to talk about it or it could be something else..whatever it is he is safe and cared for so don't worry to much about that. Could just be his meds., or a depressed mood, maybe he is in a therapy group where he is making some breakthroughs and is to emotionally drained to talk and staff cannot reveal anything, if they do they are breaking the rules.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree that he is most likely safe.
    When he is really better and on meds and able to make decisions (legally) you can ask him if he wants to appoint you or your mom or anyone else as a healthcare proxy. Or he can put in writing that he wants the staff to be able to tell you (even generally) how he is doing.
    With all the patient rights now in so much focus, it is a breach of confidentiality for them to talk to family members without consent and if he can not legally give consent right now because of his condition, you can't do too much about it.
    Good luck and Hugs to you all.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I agree with the other two posters.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:16 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I have been in Mental Hospitals more than once. Generally they are safe places, but if you're thinking he's not getting the care he needs, maybe you should talk to him or your mother about having him transferred... As with any medical business there are those who fall through the cracks or don't get the best care. IF you think he's in one of those situations, a change needs to be made...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It would concern me if I couldn't get answers about what's going on. Maybe call legal aid or the mental health dept and see if they can't point you in the right direction. Good luck with this...
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Where I worked in San Diego we had a BHU behavioral health unit. It was a locked unit with the more dangerous in a double locked unit. It is kinda like a daycare for adults. They have groups and do art and get their meals and snacks along with their meds. They all look forward for smoke breaks. Some just sit in the TV room all day. They get time with their social workers and Docs. If you don't mind the BO (cause you can't force them to shower) and the smell of cigs on everything........ Some patients get loud and rowdy and some pace the hallways talking to themselves. The patients have their rights unless they have a conservator who is appointed by the court to make the decisions for the patients in their best interest.
    Hope I helped, Good Luck!
    DianneV

Answer by DianneV at 11:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i don'i trust any of those places especially if you can't communicate with him been threw the same thing with a family member took him out now we know he's safe and getting well be it's a huge decision to make if you plan on bringing him home but atleast it stops the worries
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 3:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Maybe he is just having a set back. Im sure his positvie attitude will return. Maybe he's just going through something within himself. Maybe he is doubting himself being independant or is afraid to fail. Give him some time and just encourage him to take the chance and the risk when he is ready.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010