what really happens in mental institutions?!

my brother has been in a mental institution since Jun 23rd for schitzophrenia. After a couple of days I noticed that he was getting better. My mother went to visit him and she was told me that he was ready to get out and what he planned on doing when he got out such as get a job, apartment ect. We (my brother and myself) aslo had this conversation over the phone (i live 3 hrs away). For the past couple of weeks I have not been able to talk to him, I always get an excuse. My mother went to visit him today and my brother will not talk. I dont know if he does not want to talk or cannot talk I really dont know. The staff will not talk to his parent or no one else about how he is doing. What do you think about this situation and what would you do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The facility has a next of kin listed. If he didn't have one some one would be name sa conservator. Who ever it is that is listed on his admission paperwork should have full disclosure from the Dr./therapists.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• As he is institutionalized, someone has to be responsible for him - usually a parent if a power of attorney/incompetency hearing hasn't taken place. Your mom should be able to get information, and if they refuse she should contact a lawyer.

Schizophrenia is a complex illness, and it can change over time. A friend's mom has it (and is in assisted living), and some days she acts completely normal, other days she tells my friend that the staff is poisoning her, that aliens have visited her, etc. There have been periods where she has refused to speak as well, she believed that if she spoke she would die.

I'm so sorry you're worried and not getting any information, I would be very concerned as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010