How do I get my three-month-old to take a nap during the day? She'll cat nap for 30 mins or so a few times a day, but she gets cranky around 4pm, and I know she's not getting enough sleep. I've tried rocking her, Ferberizing, letting her cry, different atmospheres...nothing works.

juliagulia21

Asked by juliagulia21 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that most babies go through stages like this from time to time.... My son sure did. He eventually started taking better naps. Maybe you could try keeping her away for longer times between naps? I know it's hard, when you can tell that they're getting tired, but it may help her to sleep longer. Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My DD did the same thing at this age. I fixed it by getting her on a schedule and putting her down when she was groggy so she would learn to settle herself to sleep which is important for a baby to sleep well. Within two days she was back to taking 1.5-2 hour naps three times a day. I kept a log of her sleeping patterns while I was getting her on a schedule and that seemed to help me with getting her on the schedule.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 1:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ferber and CIO don't work until about 5 months old. That doesn't mean don't let her cry, but don't leave her crying for extended amounts of time. At this age they need to know that you are going to tend to their needs when they cry. Will she sleep in a swing or bouncer seat? Sometimes the important thing isn't where they sleep but that they sleep. Good luck.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'd get a doctor Spock book or Oprah's parenting guy has books too. you have to ignore them at night without ANY response, if you respond once you break the whole cycle and some kids like my dd were stubborn. I had enough fo waking up 6x a night when she was a baby at six months old I did what docs said: ignored it for 4 nights (omg it was horrible) and she never woke me up again at night after that. So daytime: swings work good, or baby front packs?
    Anonymous

• do you let her sleep on her tummy at all? my son sleeps on his tummy for naps... that is why i can still get two naps out of him, the first one is never more than an hour, but man i can get some stuff done.. also, the second one, is about 1.5 hours. Try it, some babies like sleeping on their tummies, my son starts bedtime on his tummy. 2 hours, and then when i go to bed, i roll him onto his back..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The key words in Anon's response are "six months old.' Do not ignore your 3 month old! Even Ferber, the KING of CIO says not to do it until about 5 months and even then talk to your doctor first!!
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Check out www.magicsleepsuit.com.
    Anonymous