Sewers, what's the best way to get started?

It's a craft I've always wanted to learn, and now that my children are older, I have the time. Should I take a class? Read a book? What's the best way for a beginner like me to get started?

Guinhyvar

Asked by Guinhyvar at 3:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I just started trying do you have a sewing machine or are you thinking of doing it by hand? There are tons of great tutorials online that cover everything from basics to completed projects. Or a simple sewing pattern is usually pretty easy to follow.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• take a class so u can learn how to use the sewing machine! joann's has one still i think! find something simple to make like a pillow or blanket! then u could move to clothes or purses or something as u get better! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• When i started, I didn't know how to do anything - I had to read the manual on my new basic sewing machine to thread the bobbin. I took myself into our town fabric store and the owner set me up in the back and taught me how to make my first quilt - a basic block placemat. She showed me all the basics like setting up the machine, pressing and squaring up the fabric, cutting strips, strip piecing, etc. I then took one of her beginner quilting classes and made a table runner. I was hooked! I just keep taking classes. I'm now branching into tote bags, fabric bowls and boxes, aprons and would like to take a class that teaches you how to read a pattern and make clothes. I now have a fancy machine and a room devoted to my hobby...and an expensive fabric habit...Good Luck and jump right in (advice: start small...)
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 3:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Both.....get a good book for beginners and take a class. JoAnn Fabrics offers them or maybe there is a community college nearby that offers some. Also, if you buy a machine get it some where that gives a basic lesson on how to use it. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Im brand new too. Theres a shop not too far from my house that sells machines, and if you purchase from them, they teach you how to use it, offer you services and other things that most places dont. I dont wanna be thrown to the sharks! lol..i know NOTHING about sewing, the last class i took was in elementary school when i made an apron a REALLY CUTE ONE! lol..so its ben AWHILE! When i get my refund check from school, im going to go buy a sewing machine and take the time "ME TIME" to learn and make my kids things! Its something i want to be good at! It seems like so much fun!! old fashioned maybe lol but fun!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think taking classes is the best way to go. Sometimes you really need to SEE it done to learn it....I know I do! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I was taught by my Mama. One small project at a time. That is how I like to learn and teach. So After learning the basics of how to use your machine then start with something that you would really like to do. If you want to make a bag try that. I start too big, so for my suggestions it is small.
    Take a class if you don't know how to read the pattern or read a book sewing for dummies. I have the quilting for dummies if you pm me your addy I will send it to you as a gift.. Just to get you hooked. And no your not old fashioned. I love to sew and there are more of us that do than you would ever believe. Good luck. Learn each step enjoy the process and the development of your skills.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Once you figure out how to use your sewing machine( I practiced on a spare piece of material...learning all the stiches and back space..etc) I went to the yard good place-my place here is Jo-Ann's Fabric..and looked in the section with the patterns. They have from really easy ones to hard and once you try -your hooked. My first was a simple puppet - still have it thru 4 baby's. Good luck and have fun!
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I used the book "Sewing for Dummies" quite a bit when if irst started. It explains a lot of stuff. There is also a fab group called "Sewing 4 Beginners" here on Cafemom. FAB info! One of my fave groups :) I started sewing early in 08 and have never looke d back, I love it!
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 3, 2010