What are your maternity leave benefits?

I'm not pregnant, but hope to start trying for #2 next year. I'm curious what the benefits are at other jobs across the country. Mine are what motivates me to stay here instead of throwing my hands up in the air and bolting (that and I don't want to be out of work :) ).

We get 10 weeks, plus 5 days sick time (that has to be used first before ML kicks in) and that's whether you give birth or adopt, 100% short-term disability (at regular base salary). Technically it's 8 weeks maternity leave and 2 weeks of parental bonding. That can be taken in conjunction with the maternity leave or anytime within 6 months. I think the parental bonding period also applies to new dads.

Figures the plan didn't go into effect until January 2008 and I had my son March 2007. :) I got 7 weeks and that was only because I wasn't scheduled to go back to see my OB until then.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yay for Canada! I got 15 weeks of maternity paid through employment insuranceat 55% of my regular wage, and 35 weeks of parental leave paid the same which can be takenby either parent or split up between mom and dad. There are also 15 weeks of sick leave (paid the same) that can be used before the mat leave - in case of bed rest or for some other health related issue that keeps you from working during pregnancy - it does not affect the mat or parental leave. Adoptive parents are eligible for the 35 weeks of leave as well.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I got 12 weeks 100% unpaid leave....
    no STD, nada
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Those are great benefits! In AZ & my employer I get:

* Unpaid leave with job protection for up to 12 weeks
    *Get to put a claim on my STD benefits for up to 6 weeks

Not much of an incetive here!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Those are amazing benefits! I got 6 weeks on STD which was 60% of my pay, but I had to cover the first week with PTO. Then I could take another 4 weeks off unpaid if I wanted, but I was only able to take an additional 2 (a total of 8 weeks) because my health benefits would have ended until I came back.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yuck, that does suck! I definitely wouldn't be motivated to keep my job with that!
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yeah, those of us who had baby's prior to 2008 were all stunned when they made the announcement. We contemplated a revolt, LOL.

I knew Canada had some awesome benefits. Would love if they did that in the US, but there's about as much chance of that happening as it is for Arnold Swarzenegger to be elected president.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I meant babies, not baby's. Forgive my sucky grammar. :)
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010