i need some suggestions about planning my son's first birthday,I dont want it to be about the adults but the focus should be on my son

vida1970

Asked by vida1970 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When is it? Will it be hot outside? Do something at a park or your backyard. Will you be having food or just cake?
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• face painting, rent some ponys, jummper, no beer (maybe), hmmm i dnt know what you mean by the focus should be about your son??
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• The focus will be on him, but if there are mostly adults and no children you should make the party fun for them as well....
    The first bday is kinda hard to cuz there's not much a 1 year old can do- mine just opened presents and ate his cake. Everyone will want to get a little time with the birthday boy too, so try to get around to everybody.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would give him a cupcake with one candle on it, take lots of pictures and ask people if they would contribute towards his college trust fund rather than buy frivolous toys!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree with skittles, you need to put as much thought into your guests as your son. They are your guests. :) Your son is only a year old so he may not be ready for a bunch of party games and treat bags, etc. but if you are inviting older kids you can bet they will be.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I live in NY so its gonna be cold or else a back yard pool party would be great, I like the idea of face painting another thing is that my friends circle there kids are all grown up am the only one with a baby except for the few I made at the clinic, so its gonna be indoors my place is to small so am looking for a venue and I really dont know where to start and what establishment cater for a 1yr bday
    vida1970

Comment by vida1970 (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Vida, when you say grown up, you mean no children? Don't bother with face painting if there aren't any kids. In fact. I'd consider keeping it really simple because baby won't remember it at all. First birthday parties really are for the grownups. In particular, the parents, who've managed to survive the first year!

I think Ewadun's suggestion really is the best. And we did do a big first birthday party, for nearly all adults. Ten years later, nobody remembers.(Maybe my MIL does. My parents would if they were still living. Everyone else? Nope.)

I'd've done better sinking that money into the college fund.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010