testing for ADD/ADHD and Autism?

My oldest DD who is 9 sees a counselor do to all the changes in her life in 1 year. a new home , a new school and being harrassed at the new school. My daughter was diagnosed with Auditory_processing_disorder. but now her counselor is concerned that she may be adhd or add or even a form of autism. they said they notice some of the same markers that my nephew has who has adhd and asperger's syndrome. But i don't see hyperness with her i see that with my youngest. but with my oldest she is looking all over not paying attention. MY question is How long does it take for the test? And could this be just the Auditory issues going on?they said she doesn't like changes. who would especially with losing her friends , her school the only home she ever knew.

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sounds like she's going through a lot. That alone could be what's impacting her, not ADHD. And yes, auditory processing disorders can look more like ADHD than people realize. I had my son tested auditory problems along with a boatload of other things in order to rule it out because there are numerous things that mimic ADHD. Please know that ADHD has become a catch-all and you should research diligently to find the core of your child's issues. As far as ADHD testing, it is extremely subjective and anyone on any given day could test as having ADHD. And teachers/administrators cannot force you to medicate; the subject of medication should stay outside the realm of education. Everyone is very quick to diagnose and treat - I even had a neuro-psychologist tell me I should medicate my boy even after I was able to rid him of his diagnosis. You know your child best - research, research, research - so you can do what's best.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• they diagnosed my ADHD at 30 within a few tests that took 2 hours - not ALL ADHD is they Hyper form.. especially in girls/women and that is why it goes undiagnosed for so long.. its that lack of ability to concentrate or focus is the biggest signs. I am so sorry you and you family are going through this.. why is she getting harressed? girls can be so cruel... poor thing
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• it was not just girls , there was boys also involved in her harrassment. The school is trying to deal with it. but She needed hel to because she got to yelling at the teacher. found out it was the teacher who ws refusing to stop her being harrassed and bullied. Thank you for the information that helps. they are going to start going over everything when school starts so we can get a accurate diagnosis
    sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wish I had an answer for you. Good luck!
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• A person does not need to be hyper to be diagnosised with ADHD. My son is not hyper, he has the attention problem and it is to the point that I am not medicating him for school this year. Going to see how he does without the meds. As for how long the test took, about 5 minutes. The doc sent ADHD survey's too his teachers and one to me. The funny thing is the teacher who insisted my child was hyper and never paid attention scored him the lowest!! Some kids are diagnosised without testing because their behaviors and grades,etc show the symptoms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2010