How do I make the Mormons understand, I'm just not interested in that religion anymore?

I was born into & raised as a Mormon. I was blessed, baptized, confirmed & even married in the temple. Looking back, I never did any of it for myself. It was just what was expected of me. I have come into other beliefs since then. I'm not interested in going to church or debating my reasons. I absolutely understand thier point of view. I just don't want to be part of it anymore. I'm not having my membership removed or anything like that. I just want it understood that there is a differant path for everyone & that religion is definately not mine. They just won't understand. They don't. They can't. What can I do!

HeatherGallegos

Asked by HeatherGallegos at 12:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• You don't owe anyone any explanation at all for any decisions you make. You may want to reconsider removing your membership... there are responsibilities to membership of any organization, and if you don't want to fulfill those, it is your right (and I feel respectful) to remove yourself.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'm not sure how the Mormon faith works, but in the Catholic religion if you publicly denounce your faith then you are no longer considered catholic. Maybe there is something like that you can do.
    Anonymous

• I live in Utah, too. My family is also Mormon I am not. I don't think they will stop trying to get you to be active, I just ignore them. I guess marrying a southern baptist helped.
    sheila771

Answer by sheila771 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You don't owe them an explanation honestly. It's YOUR personal choice. Some religions get mad, some could care less. Just ignore them and don't give them an explanation...because youdon't have to.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If you prefer not to have your records removed you just request that you not be contacted. They cannot call, write or visit you at that point. Sorry things didn't work out for you but you are always welcome back. - Cheryl
    Cherk

Answer by Cherk at 4:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i don't understand how you are being bothered unless it's your family and friends.i don't think that the missionaries would go out unless someone is sending them there. they have changed their guidelines to respect the in-actives or none members more. so maybe someone is being persistent on trying to get you to return. maybe you can ask your family and friends to stop and not single anyone out. sorry to hear that you never fully converted on your own, i personally would like to see you return on your own but not cause you have been forced too. i'm sorry too that it hasn't worked out for you cause it sure has been a great blessing my life since i came back and so did my new husband. i can't wait to be sealed and for the first time ever get a temple recommend!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Doesnt matter what you do, you should give the bishop a no contact order but that doesnt ensure they wont bug you.
    I resigned last year but the missionaries still "happen" to find us a couple of times. Thanks to our moving a bit it hasnt happend to much.

If your family is involved no matter what you do they will have someone contact you because they feel its in your best interest and eternal salvation to do so.

You either ignore it all or put your foot down STRONGLY even if it seems rude. That may or may not help.

*resigned last year after 34 yrs in the church*
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Just tell them straight out that you don't believe that way anymore and nothing they say will change that and you don't want them to waste their time.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I totally understand where you are coming from. I was raised mormon- did the whole shebang- and then I realized that I was doing it for everyone else.

My in-laws understand that I am not interested, but my family doesn't. I guess just keep repeating yourself and tell them that you aren't interested.

As for removing your name from the church- that's huge. I haven't done it yet. Sometimes I feel like I should, and at other times I feel like, what if I'm wrong? But if you are certain that Mormonism is not for you, then go ahead and remove your name.

EricaAbbott

Answer by EricaAbbott at 8:27 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The Mormons can be VERY hard to persuade on this subject, mostly because of the intolerant view they have of former members. They call us apostates and teach that those who knew their church and turned away from it have a special section of hell reserved for us along with Satan and his demons. I am in the process of having my name removed from the records, it's a very extensive process. You must have a notarized letter stating you want your name removed and you must send that FedEx to the church headquarters. They might give you some bullcrap about talking to your local bishop. Most importantly, you're going to have to be firm. You don't owe them any explanation. Tell them you don't want to be a member, you want your name removed or you will involve your lawyer (whether you have one or not). I know several ladies who have had to threaten legal action to have their records removed. Best of luck to you on your new path.
    Mama0f3grlz

Answer by Mama0f3grlz at 9:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2008