why do so many people try and shove breastfeeding down a mom's throat even when she doesn't want to?

I mean really...... yes it might be better but formula isn't toxic poison either... it's the mom's choice and if she has already made that choice then why try and beat it in her?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 4:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• People mostly just state what they think is best and most of the time, on here anyway, it's because their opinion or experience was asked.
    I FF, and haven't had a problem with anything being shoved in my face.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I know what ya mean. To each there own, people just dont respect that
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Because it's best and we can't figure out why you wouldn't want to.

On our side: Why can't you just try to BF it is better, why do you insist on using BM substitute?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• And also, It stops baby from spitting up and having stomach issues and having to switch formulas a hundred times in 4 days. This is why we suggested it to you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I agree with BradenIsMySon
    we just don't understand why you wouldn't want to. It's free. It reduces YOUR risk of cancer. It's better for the baby. It's convenient (no washing bottles, etc).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• People shouldn't try to beat their opinion into anyone. It's none of their business, really.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i dont know. of course it's better but if the mom is not set on the decision it most likely wil not work anyway. it's not as easy as people think.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• because it is best for her child. Just like we require you to put the child in a car seat- sorry if it is inconvenient, it is what is best for your child. No, they will not die without it, but why not give them the best start that you can? Even doing it for a week is better than nothing. Why wouldn't you at least try to give your child the best possible start?
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Your right people do throw it in your face. I have tried and for medical reasons and many other reasons I hated it. I have had 3 children, and if I were to have a fourth without a doubt I would bottle feed. It doesn't make me less of a mother. I think it's great you want to breast feed and thats your choice. Bashing others won't help anything.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Although it might be great for the baby, it isn't the right option for every mom. I couldn't breast feed with my oldest because I was sick & on a lot of medication, with my 2nd, I tried, I'm 5' 2" tall, & wear a F cup bra w/o breast feeding. I couldn't find a bra that fit me when my milk came in, I couldn't hold my baby comfortably to nurse. Couldn't just be modest in public & put a blanket over me & the baby to nurse, not that it mattered because I couldn't leave the house since I couldn't find a bra. I lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't even try with my 3rd. People have different reasons for making the choices that they do. I gave up diet coke while I was pregnant, & anything else unhealthy, never even took a tylenol for a headache. I wanted the best for my baby just like breast feeding moms do, it just wasn't the right choice for me, & whatever is right for each of us as individuals, we have to respect each others choices.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010