Doing online school while deployed to Afghanistan. Easy or Hard?

My husband just got out of the army and is now National guard. His unit wants to deploy him because he has so much experience. He starts school next month and is only 2 years away from the degree he wants. He is only considering the deployment if hs can continue school online over seas but is worried it will be WAY too difficult to work his job and go to school at the same time. He's a heavy equipment operator so he'll be working 8-12 hour shifts building roads. I want to know if you or your s.o., or anybody you know deployed and did school over seas. Was it impossible? Easy? Did they give you time off from your duties to do school work? Any info is greatly appreciated.

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 4:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My DIL tried it when she was in Iraq. It was all but impossible for her. Just too much stress. Too tired. Too mmany working hours. Her command told her 'school is what you do on YOUR time" So no, they were not helpful. But that is just one soldiers experience.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hard. My husband deployed to Iraq and i can't even imagine him attempting to go to school. the drills, the long hours, the nothing to do for days at a time and then a rush to get a months worth of stuff done in one week. it's insane.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But i know Afghanistan is more active then Iraq and ...well, i just think it would be extremely difficult. It's hard enough for your average citizen to work full time and go to school. Let alone a soldier in a war zone.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• They don't give time off to complete school work.. Afghanistan is a very high alert place right now... Schooling may be difficult at the moment.. Maybe he can go ahead and start the classes online so he can get as much done as possible before deploying and then wait and see how things will be over there.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That'd be hard I'd assume.

I did online classes, and my personality doesn't fit online classes, online discussions making sure you're there at certain times to participate in class online IM/ discussions. My son was 1 years old too, it just was a mess.

However for some people online is a breeze or easier than in school classes.

It really depends on what he's comfortable with. He should talk with his sarge or whatever and find out how likely is it that he'll have the time to participate.

How many credit hours is he looking into? That's a good thing to make sure it's not too many.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• For the semester he's starting next month its 3 classes but he has classes every day from anywhere between 50 minutes to 3 hours.
    momma_shuler

Comment by momma_shuler (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I teach for an online school and have had deployed military in a couple classes. I made sure to provide materials early and was lenient with due dates and deadlines so the student could participate as fully as he/she was able. It is possible.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My husband took networking classes while in Afghanistan, his unit was supportive and he only worked in the hospital because he is on profile for an injury so, he had the time. If he does do it make sure his unit is supportive and will give him the time to complete his work. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010