Why can't you dye your hair the same day you wash it?

I got a wash and a cut this morning and then styling goop put in my hair...would it be "dirty" enough to dye tonight?

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• The color wont absorb right into the pores, the color will 'bleed', especially if you are getting highlights. I studied cosmotology
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sure,I have done this.I guess some women experience drying when they color too close to a washing,but my gal will wash the person's hair at the salon when she colors,so who knows? Give it a try.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wash mine sometimes before i color my hair and never had a problem with it
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've always washed my hair before I colored it... This is the first time I've ever heard not to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sometimes if the hair is too clean the dye wont take but if you hair dyes easy you shouldnt have a problem.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I have never heard that. Maybe they are worried that your hair would be damaged by the coloring after the shampoo removed all the natural oils? But I color after washing and it was okay.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I did it once after I had washed my hair and it burned my scalp and I ended up with a scabby head. I guess there weren't even oils present to protect my scalp.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thanks everyone...I guess I'll wait til tomorrow.
    lizard111

Comment by lizard111 (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2010