Vegetable Wars !!

How do I get my son to eat his veggies? He refuses to eat them. I have tried to make them look good. I have given to him repeatedly he still won't eat them. Any ideas? My sisters mother in law use to boil and blend them then add them to whatever she was making like soups or rice. This sounds like a good idea, but I would like to hear different ideas please. Thanks ladies.

sylvia559

Asked by sylvia559 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it's okay to mix veggies into dinner foods sometimes ...but not all the time. The child is learning healthy eating habits now.

Try letting them make choices. If they go shopping with you let them pick veggies that they want to try or the ones that they like. When making dinner give them a choice of what veggies they want to eat.

Also, talk to your child about healthy eating. Explain that veggies are important because of the nutrients and how they help your eyes, skin, hair, brain, muscles, etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "Hide them" in food by baking with them or putting them in pastas sauces, on pizza, pockets sandwiches, etc.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I cut some veggies into different shapes (I have a canape cutters that are square, star, and circle). I also will give them to the kids both raw and cooked. My 2.5 yo hates cooked carrots, but will eat a mound of raw ones.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I kept offering and eventually he ate. LOL He refused and I made him a different green(something he hated) veggie every night for a week and made him eat at least several bites. Then, after a week, I asked him did he want to eat what we eat or mixed veggies. He Chose the mixed ones and got those for a long time. He is 14 now and eats anything. Even roasted Brussels Sprouts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• i had the same problem actually still working on it my son too is 4 and he stopped eating gerber vegetables about 3 mo ago. i started with just one vegetable spinach plain not cooked just one lbaby leaf,and a whole week went by before he tried it then i stuck with it for 2 weeks then i introduced carrots. steamed not from a can or frozen just two lil circles something about texture. and for a whole week he reffused then he tried he ate and stuck with it for a whole week. then i kept trying diff veggies but his favorite right now is spinach he will eat a 1/2 cup for luch and dinner.of course i increased the amount he has to eat he can now eat 3 baby carrots yay. hope this helps good luck. i know how you feel i begged him cried to him bribed him till i just stuck with it.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 10:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My 8 year old refuses to touch most vegetables but he's got a few he's happy about. We offer those regularly and then toss out the others for him to stare at periodically. TO be frank, as long as he's eating some in some form, I don't worry. There are plenty of veggies I'm not a fan of and several I am. . . but many of those came post-childhood. I set an example in my eating. I make them available. I hide a few in foods. I let him drink the V-8 splash he loves. I give him access to the ones I know he likes. He likes ranch dip. I put a little of the fat-free ranch dressing in a small bowl and place it next to a platter of fresh cut carrots. In the summer I toss on a few garden fresh veggies too. Any time he's walking by the kitchen or feeling snacky, he'll stop at the tray and grab a handful of carrots to dip. By the end of the day he's had his serving allotment. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:30 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I put a vegetable puree of carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, and beets in my meatloaf. I also have a picky eater as well as a picky husband, neither like vegetables. After adding seasoning and onions, you can't even tell there are veggies in it. They scarf it down!
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Put him in charge of veggies. Let him pick out which kinds to try, how to prepare them and how much he puts on his plate. Also, try different kinds of (low fat) dips & dressings for raw veg and don't forget about peanut butter! Celery with peanut butter and raisins on top (flies on a log) are a big hit here.
    Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Also youmay be surprised to know that most fruits have as much as if not more vitamins then veg's do, try googling some comparisons and maybe he will like the fruits better. Not that veg's arn't important, they so are but maybe start small and work your way up. Currently my guys will only eat sweet potatoe, broccilli,carrots(cooked in light maple syrup)) and butternut squash. we offer these once or twice a week and serve high fiber,high vitamin fruits like star fruit ,kiwi,ect every dayy all day at every meal:)
    We also do alot of mixed bakinglike banana chocalate chip muffins with grated zucchini or carrots or sweet potatoe /squash pancakes.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• oh and my fav black bean brownies:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010