Would you know what to do...

if your child was choking?

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes. :)

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes. It's happened and was never something I had an issue dealing with. Our peds went over all of the basic first aid and whatnot within our first few weeks of parenthood to make sure we had the basics down.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I do know what to do, but I fear that I will forget what to do if it happened!

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yep... even so, I panic, and will start slapping him on the back like its going to do any good... I remember when one of kids were just starting table food, he gagged and DH had him by his ankles trying to "dislodge" whatever was stuck. THAT freaked me out. Of course, now he knows better.

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes, I would know what to do. If it is an infant who is choking, I would lay him/her head down over my lap, and pat back hard enough to get the object to come out. I was taught to rub, but I would pat. If it were a toddler or older, I would perform the Heimlich maneuver. Now, saying and doing is two diff things. My son has never choked, and so I don't know if I would run around screaming like a headless chicken forgetting everything I was taught, or just do what needed to be done. Hopefully I would keep my head.

Answer by AngylJen at 7:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes.

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:00 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Yes

Answer by tazdvl at 2:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes!!

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• yes. I took a babysitter certification class when I was 12, and it came in handy about a year later when my younger brother was choking on a marble. I dislodged it, then burst into tears while yelling at him to never do it again. Then years later when my niece was about 2 my brother was at my house feeding her & she started choking. He panicked & screamed for me. He was sticking his finger down her throat trying to get it out (big no no!!). I shoved him aside, turned her over & patted her back, got it out. I calmed my brother down, handed him my niece & went in the next room & burst into tears. Both times I kept cool during, but broke down after.

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2010