So if you chose not to Breastfeed..why not?

I don't care either way as its not my place to judge but I am really curious about the reasons people choose not to.

mamallamaof2

Asked by mamallamaof2 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've seen this question on here at least a thousand times...I was just not comfortable with it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• for me it was not exactly a choice. someone who handled me or my son after birth had not properly washed their hands. I contracted MRSA in both breasts. 6 weeks of pump and dump while taking meds, it was never cured, never was able to get rid of the MRSA colonies in my breassts. i have to be careful not never wound them deeply. etc. but i gave up after 6 weeks. I could not breast feed him because there was a chance the MRSA could harm his little body
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Like I said I really dont care. Thier is just so much crap on here about BFing so it made me wonder.
    mamallamaof2

Comment by mamallamaof2 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I will confess, I really dislike this question. I have answered this before and there are some woman who have bashed my choice, telling me I was poisoning my child, and the reason did not matter. I have seen woman give the reason that their child was not getting enough and they were told they didn't try hard enough. I have seen woman state that they were told by their doctor that a certain medication they were on could harm that child and a poster replied that their doctor didn't know what they were talking about.

I made the best decision I could for me and my child and I did much research on the subject. My decision to bottle feed was a well informed one, my reasons do not matter to anyone but my husband and myself.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I did it for a month. Then, he had a cluster feeding spurt and I thought he wasn't satisfied or getting enough and I stopped. :( I wish I hadn't.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't meant to insinuate that you (OP) are not OK in asking this question, it's just a question that I've answered before and got bashed for by others on this site.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Among other misc. reasons... if I have to haul these heavy suckers around EVERY day... they sure as hell better be good for something.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh, and to "not properly washed their hands. I contracted MRSA in both breasts."... OMG, if that was hospital staff that caused that, I REALLY hope you got some legal advise about that. Sounds like some sort of lawsuit to me. And I really hope you're feeling better! The ability to breastfeed aside... that just sounds horrible and painful!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My DD was in the NICU for the first few days, and while there she had a combination of breast and formula feeding. When I brought her home, she wasn't doing well with the breast feeding. After spending hundreds of dollars on meetings with lactation specialists and various equipment, i ended up pumping and bottle feeding the breast milk for 8 weeks. It was not a good experience, so after 8 weeks she was on formula. She's now a happy, healthy 2-1/2 yr old, and I haven't once regretted my decision.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 5:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• First born.. lack of information/education.
    Second DD.. had the education but became very frustrated after being told how natural and easy it was but I did not see it that way LOL..So I would say lack of support.
    Third child.. EBF until about 13 months..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010