Just had a very hectic experience!

My Dd usually cosleeps with us for at least half the night. I usually feed her to sleep, then place her in bed, and when she wakes up, I put her in bed with me. I've gotten her to go down in her own bed a few times, but it doesn't really stick because she's forever teething! Well, I decided to try it again tonight. Had soft music, sat rocking her in a chair, well, when she decided she didn't want to eat, and didn't want to be rocked, I tried to put her in her crib and she started all out screaming at me. So, I picked her up and tried to rock her more, she continued to scream at me. So, I thought.. hmm, teething? Gave her medicine for it. Then I tried putting her in bed with me a half hour later and she wouldn't sleep! She kept moving around and wouldn't eat either. Dh tried to get her to lay still and sleep and she started the screaming episode again, so he told me to put her in her crib because she was overreacting. CONTINUED

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if it's the same issue with yours or not, but sometimes when my daughter is REALLY REALLY tired... there's no consoling her. Rocking, singing, toys, anything I do to console her just makes it worse. I finally discovered when I've tried all the obvious stuff, if she's still doing it, it's often ME keeping her up and making her mad. So I'll typically do all the usual efforts to quiet her, and if that doesn't work, just put her in her bed. She'll cry terribly, and (when this is the issue) within about 10 min she's out cold. (Of course if she's still crying after the 10ish minutes, I'll go back and try something else)

The first few times I did this were horrible for me, it's really hard to sit there and intentionally do nothing while she's crying. But honestly, when nothing else was helping it became clear that the "comforting" that was disturbing her sleep and frustrating her further.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sounds like a tummy ache.
    dazziestar

Answer by dazziestar at 5:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I put her in her crib and sat her in her room in a chair while she continued screaming (occassionally she'd say a word or two, but then go right on screaming again). I kept telling her calmly to lay down and go to sleep, and finally she did, it only took about 15 minutes at that point, but I'd been trying to get her to bed for over an hour! It never takes that long.
    So, I know she's teething, but today at lunch she refused to eat and then I had problems putting her to sleep then too. Could this be more then just teething related?
    I know the last time she teethed, it would take me 3 hours to put her to sleep... she just refused to go to bed at night! Is this normal teething behavior? Am I missing something? Should I be giving her medicine in advance.. before I know if her teeth are hurting her or not?

Advice please... she's 15 months old, and I'm still not getting how to put this kid to sleep!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would give her tylenol and just give her a little time. I know how bad it sucks going through teething, but it will stop, you're almost there! MY son was the same exact way and then one day, he was just normal. You're doing well, keep it up and know that it wont last forever
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• How old is she? Is it possible she's got more than one tooth coming in at the same time, this time around? I know the molars are MUCH worse, well for us they were. There were many times we'd have to give her tylenol/motrin every 4 hours around the clock for several days straight when it was at it's worst.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She has three molars coming in, and possibly some canines. I've about had it with teeth! (15 months old)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• With our most recent round of molars (DD's 18 months), there were a few times she'd wake up in the middle of the night crying and holding her mouth. (She typically sleeps soundly through the night) Recently I tend to go for the frozen blueberries before I go for the tylenol. They seem to settle her better. They're cold and firm, so I think they help relieve the pain like a cold chew-toy thing. They're small, so they fit in the mouth with minimal mess, and they taste good too.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• oh, and btw, good luck! Teething may feel like it's already lasted forever....but it won't.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She gets her teeth early. Got her first two at 5 months old.. and already has one of her molars, the others are poking through but not quite in yet. Dd has never slept through the night ever. The most she's slept is 6 hours straight. That's about normal for her. I just don't want to keep her drugged forever. Her teeth come in really slowly and some days won't bother her at all.. then others they bother her a lot. So, I usually wait until she's having trouble getting to sleep to give her meds for it. And that just leads to her getting overly tired.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yeah, we typically only do the round the clock when it's been really bad (she had 4 molars and 2 incisors coming in at the same time). The frozen fruit, I think, has helped better than orajel.

Oh, also, for the back teeth. The soft rubber nose suckers (a clean/new one of course) are great to chew on and easily get the back teeth.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010