What would you do if your teenage son/daughter told you they were gay?

My son is only two years old so this question is not specifically coming from personal experience. I was just curious as to what other moms would do or say if their teenager informed them they were gay.

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 5:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• "Being gay still isn't going to get you out of having the when am I gonna be a grandparent talk. " Other wise, hug them, love them and let them know they still have one duty left to do, "where are my grandkids?' lol
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:27 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I'd tell them to explore their sexuality a little more before they decided,especially if they were still a virgin. Sometimes the feelings and the actual act don't sync up.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

looks like you are the ignorant one..i'm just giving my opinion if you can't stand it then maybe you shouldnt have a parenting debate...hun.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Not a problem for me. My dad was gay. My grandson is gay. They are wonderful people.I love them for who they are not who they prefer to be intimate with

Answer by admckenzie at 5:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• don't get too upset and you know nothing about me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My daughter and I had a talk about this. She asked me if it was bad to be gay and I told her no not at all. then she asked me how does someone know if they are gay? I said I don't know and I believe they just know. She said I hears people saying "thatS gay" to mean something insulting. SHe asked me if I would be mad if she was gay and I told her no as long as she was happy and true to herself. Then I asked her if she thought she was gay and she said she doesnt know cause she doesnt like boys or girls yet.
    I think when the time comes for whether she is or not I already know my answer. Good luckif it comes up, it was still a tough moment

sirenite

Answer by sirenite at 9:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• If my child is Happy then I'm Happy. I'm not going to judge them by the type of person they want to be. Just as long as it's nothing Illegal.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Givem a hug, prob cry ( i dont want my kids to have a hard life)...but support em and keep it movin...im here if you need me, and im proud that you know who you are!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'd honestly have no problems with it. As long as he/she was happy, that is all that matters.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Mine did, and for the first two weeks I cried, then I shook myself off and told her that I will love and support here every step of the way. I also said that her happiness was my only goal, she will always be my little girl first and foremost.

Answer by older at 5:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010