Did anyone have a cake/dessert only wedding reception?

My df and I are having our reception at a place that has an open food policy so we've decided to do our own food to save money. We were originally going to do a light buffet dinner but decided its too much for us to take on with 150 guests. Now we're thinking of just having a cake and dessert reception to make it easier on us. Did anyone else do this? How did it turn out? Were your guests okay with it? Were you satisfied with it in the end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I think a lot of this may depend on where you live, but I say do whatever you want to do. If people are that busy being judgemental, then they have no business in your life anyway. Now, its hard to have a party at a meal time and not serve a meal so you might have to look at that.
    We had a 4:00 wedding and a heavy horsederves reception. I'm a blur on what we even had now but you get the idea. Cake, punch, other drinks, but no alcohol because it was at the church. People could well have been out of there by 5:30 and gotten their own dinner.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• We had a cake and tea and coffee reception in the church basement and no alcohol. It was a small,inexpensive wedding. I just don't see WHY people want to spend thousands of dollars on the wedding and reception.
    You should go with what you want and don't worry!!! Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Most people expect to eat after a wedding. Did you send out yourinvitations yet? If not, then you need to put int he invitations that you're only doing cake. It should also be a short reception if you're only doing cake because people will wan to eat real food at some point.

if you do it right, a few finger foods could be really cheap. Did you have to invite 150 people? That's a very large wedding for someone who cannot afford food at the reception.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes, we did due to cost and so did my sister. My wedding was small (75 guests); she had 150 at hers. We also served fruit and cheese. The guests were fine. We scheduled our wedding after lunch but before supper so people wouldn't expect a dinner. My wedding was at 2:00 and hers was at 3:00.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I disagree with samurai_chica. I've been to about 7 weddings as a guest and I've been in 2 weddings. Only 1 of those 9 weddings served a meal. If people EXPECT you to feed them at your wedding, then that's their problem not yours. A wedding is about the two of you starting your life together. You have so many more important issues to think about and discuss and putting yourself in debt to feed people should not even be on your radar.

Generally speaking, whether or not food is served is determined by the time of the wedding. If the wedding and/or reception falls on a lunch or supper time, then a meal is usually expected, but if the time isn't during a meal time, then people usually think it's going to be a cake reception unless you are a religion that typically has large and long weddings.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think Samurai_chica's answer is a bit rude. The OP didn't say she "can"t" afford to feed her guests. She just said she wants to save money, and I don't blame her! Weddings can be very expensive and having food can cost a few thousand dollars! OP if you have a cake only reception, make SURE you put that on the invitations so people know, and I would also have the reception start at like 7pm, so its after the dinner hour. I think most reception venues allow you to stay until midnight, so 7-12 is still 5 hours of party time! Congrats :)
    Kaybean

Answer by Kaybean at 11:39 AM on Jul. 30, 2010