Pregnant with number two and scared.

I just found out I am pregnant and my DS is only 10.5 months. So these children will be 20 months apart. I am scared to death! Everyone is like wow that is too close! What were you thinking. Even though it was an accident. I am worried I won't be able to handle it and my ds will be slighted for affection. Anyone with babies this close talk to me about your experiences.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am 37 weeks and my youngest will be 23 months when his baby sister is born. My oldest is 6. Yea its close and it hurts worse esp. in the end now that my hips feel like they will split like the grand canyon, but listen there is so much to look forward to. Dressing them alike! they are too young to protest, Playing together and having the same interest. My 6 year old says he wishes he had a twin so he would have someone to play with. Getting through the school system together instead of having a high school, college and kindergarten student at one time. They will be each others support and BFF's for life. I think its great...Congrats!

dazziestar

Answer by dazziestar at 5:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You will be fine. Just take one day at a time and a nap when possible. My first two are 13 months apart. I got the same comments. We did not plan it, it just happened. My second and third are 20 months apart. Once you get into a routine, it will be a piece of cake. In the beginning as long as everyone is bathed, fed and happy then you are doing a great job. You will be tired so don't stress about the dishes or any other housework for that matter. Things will gradually come together and you will do fine. My kids are now almost 1, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and it is so much fun.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 5:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I tried to have mine that close, but it didn't work out. I have lots of friends with kids that close (actually closer), and it's great. It seems like it's a little tough having two so little that need so much from you, but that will only last a very short time. I think it's great, and I wish it had worked out that way for our family. Best of luck!
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 5:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Don't worry. It's actually easier the second time around! I accidentally got pregnant with my second and was not excited for a good while with the pregnancy. My oldest two are 22 mos a part. Well, being a mom for a second time turned out to be so wonderful, DH and I decide to try one more time for a girl when DS no. 2 was 7 months old. I got pregnant right away.... with twins. oooops lol. Anywho, my point is... you will love it!
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 5:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My 1st and 2nd are 17mo 8 days apart
    My 2nd and 3rd are 17mo 18 days apart
    My 3rd and 4th are 2yr 9mo apart.

Having 3 under 3 was actually not too bad! I liked having them close in age. You are still in baby mode, which makes things easier. Now they are 3, 4, 6, and 5 mo and they play together (the older 3) and keep each other busy :) You will probably find it to be easier than you expected, and you will find a system that works for you! GL
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, I don't have kids that close, but I have a sister that close. My mom would have me watch her and help out with the baby and made a big deal out of me being the OLDER sister and that I had to take care of the baby. We're still like that we're in our twenties. One thing I would recommend is taking pictures of both children equally. If you have a lot of your first, make sure to get a lot of your second, and if you have a little bit of your first, don't go overboard with the second kid.
    I was looking through baby books and my mom has no pictures of me from the time my sister was born until I was three. No joke. It's depressing.
    Anonymous

• No matter when you have another baby, you'd have to work out how to divide your time AND also how to give attention al-together as a group ( = family).
    ;-)

There are lots of women who have their babies closer. Whatever, we do what we do, we deal, we love.

Focus on getting tips and encouragement. If someone heads down the road of disapproval & discouragement, walk away, change the subject, or ask for those tips.
    ;-)

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:14 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Mine are 20 months apart and I LOVE the age difference. Don't listen to all the negativity. It is fun, and especially now that they are both toddlers and love the same stuff. The biggest thing that works is to encourage the older one to be proud of the younger one, and vice versa. Another great tip is to let the older one hold the new baby as often as they want, whenever they want, starting from the moment they meet. Your older one will get their fill, and really bond with the baby that way. It is really awesome! :)

It is hard work though, but so worth it. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I don't have a second baby yet... But, My older brother is 15 months older then I am.... My mom said some days are harder just like with 1 child.... I think 20 months apart is perfect... and also my husband is 17 months younger then his sister... They've always been so close and his sister has always been a helper... I know I'm gonna feel the same way when I have my 2nd baby... But, I have my son will be such a helper.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 10:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my second is due in a few weeks and they will be 21months apart. i think it will be great when the new baby can play with his older brother. and they will be close, and enjoy the same things for a while. the only bad i can see is my son doesnt understand he has to be gental with my belly and the new baby comming makes me nervous he may accidently hurt the baby.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2010