Why my 6 month old baby want to take a nap every 2 hours?

My son just turned 6 month. It seems like he wants to take a nap every two hours and these naps usually last about 30-45 minutes. This means 4 naps per day. How can I increase the time between each naps? I want to cut down number of naps per day and want him to sleep longer as well. I just don't know how anymore, please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a growth spurt there is lots of eating followed by sleeplessness, followed by lots of sleep, then the sleep pattern changes again. If he is healthy happy and growing and meeting milestones there is nothing you need to do or change, especially during growth spurt phases and major milestones and teething. Contrary to popular believe when left alone the vast majority of babies sleep as much as they need if they are allowed to do so without rigid schedule which may make them sleep when they aren't tired. Sleep patterns change a LOT in the first year for all the reasons I mentioned, and don't really settle until age 3 or 4. Just be patient and don't fix what isn't broken, or you can create a sleep issue that wasn't there before.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• he'll do it on his own

if you are breastfeeding make sure you aren't having any caffeine, that would do it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Usually naps at that age are baby led. If he wants to nap so frequently and isn't fussy between naps and playing properly, I would just let him be, he'll reduce nap times on his own.

If you want him to sleep for longer periods and stay awake longer, you can always try to play with him and keep him up, but if he needs a nap, that's never a good idea, it will just lead to him becoming over tired.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You cant really fix a babys sleeping schedule at this age. try to take him outside for walks and to get him used to the night/day schedule. But really hes right on track with sleeping. It sounds pretty usual, a little aggrivating for mommy sure, but normal for baby!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• let me guess, first baby? He is probably going through a growth spurt, and needs the sleep. If you try to keep him awake you will just have a cranky baby.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It is totally normal.
    leasmom1214

Answer by leasmom1214 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me. I'm sure in a few days he'll be back to sleeping on a more normal nap schedule.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010