How to deal with teen homosexuality?

What do you say to your teen if they tell you they are homosexual?

monamom1

Asked by monamom1 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Tell them "I disagree with your decision and I think you might change your mind in time. But I am your mom no matter what and I love you even when I dont agree with you." They need to know that you dont agree but that they can bring things to you without worrying about losing your love.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• that there is nothing wrong with them and to be proud of who they are
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• OP, I understand this is hard for you to believe or understand yourself. BUT, you knew what sex you were attracted to long before you were in love or had a "sexual" experience. This is no different. Give yourself time, give your child time. This is not a easy thing for them either. Being gay has a negative stigma for some. Just be there for your child and love him/her no matter what. They are still the same person.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would say "Okay!" I will love my child no matter if they are gay or straight, and I will support them in every way. It would not be a big deal to me at all if they were gay.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I love you.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 5:56 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Just because they are a teenage doesn't mean they can't tell who they are or aren't attracted to.

Maybe it is just a phase, maybe they are only bi it doesn't matter. I would tell my child that whatever makes them happy makes me happy and I will love them no matter what.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure what there really is to say or to "deal with." If they are they are... It's no different to me than if they came home to tell me they had their first girl/boy friend or if they said they were straight... My children know they are more than supported in whatever sexuality they discover and enjoy. What is important is that they are happy, nothing more.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:03 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I said your sexual preference won't make any difference to me, before anything else you are my daughter and I will love you for you not your sexual orientation.

Answer by older at 8:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You tell them that you LOVE THEM NO MATTER WHAT and will be there for them no matter what. It is a parents job to love the child, unconditionally. I could care less if my child was gay or straight, as long as he is happy, respected and loved.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would say, "ok, well, I'm glad you felt comfortable telling me. I love you no matter what and I will support you no matter what."

First off, I'd rather use the term romantic orientation instead of sexual orientation. When people hear sexual orientation, they automatically think SEX, but really it's more about who you're romantically attracted to not just who you hop in bed with. Anyway, romantic orientation is not something that people decide. It's who we are. I knew I liked boys long before I ever had a "boy experience" so it seems strange to wonder if she needs to have an experience with a boy or girl before she decides.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:20 AM on Jul. 30, 2010