hitting people my 19 month old is hitting people how can you get her to stop

Asked by Jocelynn18 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Say, "No. Do not hit." Then, put her in a time out for one or two minutes and do it everytime she hits. She should get the message as long as you are consistent.

Answer by manna1qd at 9:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• good question, its hard we asre working on that w/ my 17 month old. We act like it really hurts and he will stop and give us kisses and hugs. Also we praise him when he is being sweet. WE tell him to give soft touches and show him how to do so, he catches on pretty fast.

• my daughter is having the same problem, she's almost 20 months. i think it's because they can't speak their frustrations. i do exactly as above, timeout for 1 minute every time she hits and lots of praise when she is being nice and sweet and loving.

Answer by ayemeteech at 9:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I had this problem with my son at 19 months, I took him away from the sitter he was with and it stopped. He was not getting the attention that the other child (her child) was getting so he got attention the only way he knew to get it. Of course the only time he did it was to her son, no other children ever. He is 21 months now and never does anything like that now. Amazing how a child's mind works!

Answer by im_gone at 10:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• time out each and evey time. explain that it is wrong or not nicfe to hit because it hurts people.

Answer by hendrickson at 1:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2008