Pagan Beliefs, Children & Sexuality...

I'm working on a "Pagan Sexuality" blog series. I posted "Part 1: What is Pagan Sexuality" today. I have at least a few more parts to be posted over the next day or so, BUT, because of all the "teen sex" and "Sex ed" questions being posted lately I wanted to do one entire blog post devoted to Child Sex Ed, How too and what to teach and at what ages... Sexuality tends to be something that is addressed over and over again in religious teachings, and Pagan religious teachings are no different. Because of this, and because of how sex is seen by the average Pagan, sex ed tends to be something important to the Pagan parent...

My question is how do you deal with this aspect of your parenting? Is it something you teach early? And what do you teach at what ages?

General answers are just fine... This is mostly for research...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• how do you deal with this aspect of your parenting? Approach it as needed
    Is it something you teach early? Depends on the maturity of the child as to what and how much is taught and when
    And what do you teach at what ages? Depends on maturity of child and repeated lessons as they get older.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I take no specifically Pagan path toward teaching sex ed. I teach as needed and as asked. I do it in age appropriate ways, using medical terminology.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I answer question as asked, age appropriately. My children are ages 8 and under, and right now when they ask what is it, why, etc...I say sex is something two adults do when they love each other. I stress ADULTS and LOVE. That is all for now, but as they get older I will deal with more specific question.

I think the key to sex ed is to not be ashamed, and to NOT tell your children that sex is wrong. If they think its wrong they will either be more likely to do it when they rebel, or they will have some sort of psychological sexual issue as an adult.
    PhotoShauna

Answer by PhotoShauna at 1:02 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Age appropriate answers. My teens asked nothing. I assumed they got their answers from friends. My oldest daughter bought her 6 yr. old daughter a book, a very explicit book & then asked me to read it to her. It was a riot. I don't think she understood anything I said,but she was all ears! LOL
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I am jointly pagan and UU. the UU church has an excellent sexuality program that spans from kindergarten through adulthood in age appropriate teachings. pagans tend to view sexuality as part of our natural state, which it is... hence all the teen pregnancies. rather than try to deny changing bodies, hormones, and natural urges, we encourage children to be educated for self-protection, both physical and emotional, and make good choices. when my daughter was in high school i was greatly disturbed by the amount of ignorance and misinformation among her sexually active friends - who were more inclined to endanger themselves physically and emotionally since they were expected to abstain and sex talk was not welcome in their religious houses. THAT atmosphere creates more unwanted pregnancies and emotional problems than living in truth and nature.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2010