Those of you of mixed heritage.........

Obama was asked something about this on the view and this is how he spelled it out. Would you have put it this way?

When asked about his background, which includes a black father and white mother, Obama said of African-Americans: "We are sort of a mongrel people."

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Whaaattt!!?? Here I was thinking I was just an "American", but I am a mutt or mongrel instead? I have blood from all over Europe and some Native American in me. Why do we have to be defined by race? I get really tired of it. A black guy can come here from the UK and will be an "AFRICAN" American and a white guy can come from South Africa and NOT be an African American. It is messed up. I vote they take race off every application, poll, survey, report..whatever..we won't all be one until the defining stops.

I think the word "mongrel" was in poor taste, but it's to be expected from the current prez.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm of mixed European (and some NA background) and I often refer to myself as a "mutt".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• But how about you take the rest of the comment in context too. He didn't say it to be deragatory, he said it because it's teh definition of mixed races or heritages.

" And the interesting thing about the African American experience in this country is that we are sort of a mongrel people. I mean, we’re all kind of mixed up. Now, that’s actually true for white America as well but we just know more about it. And so I’m less interested in how we label ourselves and more interested in how we treat each other. And if we’re treating each other right, then I can be African American, I can be multi-racial, I can be—you name it. What matters is, am I showing people respect. Am I caring for other people. That’s, I think, the message that we want to send
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my grandma used to call it heinz 57.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• At least he didn't say something like breed... yes that word's still used and my mother's been called that a time or two.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Maybe not an awesome word choice. In the full quote it doesn't offend, it just sounds true. I refer to myself as a "northern european mutt" all the time
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "I vote they take race off every application, poll, survey, report..whatever..we won't all be one until the defining stops."

I totally agree with this! 

clapping

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's the first time in my 81 years that I had ever heard  it said about any other thing but a dog.

I thought its was odd, but no big deal after I looked up the definition.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Sweet,

Why did I not get that same pass from you on my joke, I was raised in a different time too. My BFF is black during a time when I was called ni**er lover, and every name imaginable for even having a black friend. .

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• , I said the joke was offensive and you started flipping.

I didn't see him flip, just respond to others flipping.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:23 AM on Jul. 30, 2010