Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was hired....

I was hired to make party favors for a party. I got them half done then called the woman to ask her a question, she then tells me that last week they decided to do something else and would not need me to make anything then hung up and wont answer my calls.

what would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 6:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 10 (487 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Thats awful..there is not much you can do. I was looking for a job and was also hired and as I was taking classes for the job they called me and told me they decided to hire someone FT. I was just going to work weekend. I was so mad! I am 32 and never has something happened to me like this. If you spent money I would think you should demand the money in a nice way..depends how much it was. if its enough sue them possibly! My sitiuation I just let go and figured I did not want to work for a company that operates in that manor.

    Answer by hill2 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • OMG. How rude!! Maybe put an ad on Craigslist to see if anyone can use them. I would definitely leave her a nasty message!!


    Answer by Cindy18 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • well, unfortunately there's nothing you can really do at this point

    but for future reference you now know to get at least 50% of the total you are charging up front as a non-refundable deposit.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • actually i think you can sue. get a hold of a a lawyer... you spent money to finish the task. you spent time. that is innaproriate

    Answer by MoMoFu at 6:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • I think next time you should make sure you have something in writing or ask for a deposit on the cost of what you are making. It seems to me that she got off way to easy with this arrangement. Your time and effort went into this project and then she changes her mind all of a sudden. That hardly seems fair to you.

    Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • That stinks!! Yes, get a deposit to cover your costs of supplies next time.

    Answer by elizabr at 6:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • Do you have anything in writing? It is a good idea to have a written agreement and also good to get a deposit to cover costs of materials. Even so, you might be able to file this in small claims court.

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

  • small claims court to get paid for time and materials!!


    Answer by Morgain at 1:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

  • I doubt there's anything you can do unless you have a written contract for the work you were to do for her. If you don't, you're best bet is to chalk it up to lesson learned and find a creative way to use the items for your own children or nieces/nephews.

    Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

  • In the future get a SIGNED contract stating cancellation fees. Without a signed contract your shit out of luck. Count it as a lesson learned.

    Answer by vbruno at 2:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.