If you're really such a good person

why the insistence on constantly telling other people how good you are (and in comparison, how bad they are for believing differently, how they don't understand how to be a "good" person since they disagree with you, or how rude it is to disagree with you, but not rude for you to disagree with them). If you are truly a good person, shouldn't that be evident through your actions without you ever saying a word?

It's funny, my faith has a verse that addresses this directly - a man who speaks more than he does is a fool, to paraphrase. Isn't there one like that in any of the other books?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There is something that Buddha says that is much like that quote. But i do not remember it off hand. I'll see if i can look it up.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it?"

That's the quote you made me think of.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've always wondered about the people that are only good because "God" told them to be good...... generally just makes me think that they're really horrible people, and only control their actions because they're terrified of the invisible man and his fire and brimstone.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's the fear...

I know/knew 2 women who think they are terrific, top notch Christians, attending services daily, Bible study, the daily Rosary, weekly Confession, and are both up on any and things Church/faith related. Once these 2 ladies leave the Church, their actions indicate the exact opposite of what they preach.

Truly, I think all the rules following was/is about getting THEM to the desired afterlife. It's all about them.

I could never understand how you could surround yourself with the message and still be unable to actually hear and comprehend it.

Coder- ITA!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It should indeed be in actions. Everyone one of us can say "I'm good, I do good things" but its the actions in real life and even in cyberspace that proves otherwise.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I've always been a fan of the "Actions speak louder than words" saying... It's an oldie but goodie IMO! If you are really that good, you don't have to tell anyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• From personal experience, if someone is constantly telling the world just how good they are, I run the other direction. If you have to tell people how good you supposedly are, then you aren't showing them with your actions.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• popcorn

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• margarita time  Kristi, I'll share if you will?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• DEAL! Shall we add a little BBQ to boot?

barbecuing

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010