If you are starting to Dialate can you go backwards in dialation?

Lisa_Mae

Asked by Lisa_Mae at 7:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Only if you forcefully push. It may swell. I don't think you can actually go back.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My Docter checked me last week & said I was dialated to a 2 now this week im nothing! Im also confused because Ive been pregnant 3 other times & all my Docters said to go by your measurements if you are unsure about your due date but my Docter says you cant go by your measurements!! Wich is it???? CONFUSED!!!!!
    Lisa_Mae

Comment by Lisa_Mae (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes, sometimes this does happen.
    (But also the person measuring is only guesstimating, anyway.)

If you would like to avoid getting checked it can reduce issues, confusion, risks. Something to keep in mind if you have a provider that offers this.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• That's so funny you asked that! I was just talking to a friend of mine and that happened to her when she was in labor. I guess the baby got stuck or something, she ended up having to have a c-section. Hopefully it will be different for you!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Too bad about that friend~ I wonder what was happening for her.    With time and privacy, the sphincter will do as is needed.
    It's compared to the "Fight-or-Flight" instinct with animals where they will avoid/stop laboring if fearful, distracted, a predator is near...    Humans are animals and have this going for them as well.     Besides, getting the cervix checked is unnatural anyhow.

:- /Check out:
    Ina May's Sphincter Law

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:57 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Maybe the doctor made a mistake last time.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Yes, you can, for a few different reasons.
    The first is the fact that the person checking is only estimating anyway. It also depends on if the person was a bit rough or how comfortable you are with the person.
    The second is fear. If a woman is startled during labor, if there is a lot of stress, if there are a lot of distractions, any of these things can cause tension, which can also cause the cervix, which is a muscle, to tense up and tighten.

It is best to avoid checking in the first place because it is unnecessary, unless of course you think a cord or an arm might be coming out. :)
    Dialation itself is not an indication of when labor will start, stop, or how long it will be.
    squish

Answer by squish at 8:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you can't. My doctor told me once you are effacing and dialating, there's really no going backwards.
    istylin26

Answer by istylin26 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• It depends on who is checking you every doctor is different until you are around 4 it is hard for them to guess and be the same as the last person that was checking you. Three different doctors can say three different things but once you are more dilated the number will be more accurate between people checking you. As far as measurements go it is just an estimation once you hit a certain point in your pregnancy how many weeks you are is how long your belly is from right around your ribs to the top of your cervix
    Amanda_03

Answer by Amanda_03 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 30, 2010