Is it normal for newborns to peel?? I gave her a bath and her hands, feet, and face started to peel!!

she is 2 weeks, 5 days old...

Asked by MamaSmiff at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's absolutly normal to peel. Babies are born with a protective layer of skin that eventually peels away as their skins adjusts from the watery substance of your utarus to air. Sometimes it peels right away or it may take a few weeks. My first daughter peeled for like 3 to 4 weeks.

Answer by peachtree1124 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• It could be that the soap you used is irritating her skin or drying it out. Try using some gentle baby lotion (unscented). You might want to try a natural soap instead as they're usually more gentle on a baby's skin.

Answer by amethystrse at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• When my son was first born he had the same thing going doctors said that he was fine and most newborns, especially if they were late, do that. They said just to keep them moisturized with baby lotion and everthing would be fine, and that there was nothing to worry about.

Answer by chy821 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• it's very very normal. One friends daughter peeled like crazy, her bd would be covered in it after a nap! my son didnt really peel much at all. but yes, it is common. and by the way, congrats on the baby!

Answer by trentntats at 11:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Yes, it's normal. My little girl was 2 wks. late & when I delivered her (C-Section) he skin was peeling like crazy. The dr. jokingly said she was over-cooked! It was like that for a few weeks, but I tried not to peel it off, just let it take care of itself, I'm sure it'll be fine. Good luck!

Answer by krisstencarmela at 11:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Ohhhh yeah! All of my babies did it! I would sit there and pick at them like crazy, lol.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Like all the other Mamas said, it's normal. Consider it her outer layer, lol.
    Most babies, especially when over-due, peel a bit of skin due to having been in amniotic fluid for that long.
    I would certainly use lotion if she gets irritated from it, and call the pediatrician if you're worried, but it's normal.
    Congratulations on your new baby girl!!

Answer by DeylansMama at 1:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• my baby peeled for almost three weeks, it's very normal, make sure to keep her lotioned.

Answer by mimig17 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• It's normal, my pediatrician called it moulting :) He also said that it's something they need to do so don't try to combat it with lotion.

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008