Going from BLACK hair to blonde....

I WILL be getting it done at a salon but im wondering how I should go about doing it lol...
I dont know if I should keep some black or just be brave and go all blonde. and what should i expect when they do my hair?

ryanlynn

Asked by ryanlynn at 7:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I hope you asked for a color specialist. Some salon folks have no clue about color. The last time I had it done the girl couldn't get the red out of my hair and it turned orange. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I have red hair and did went to blond and it was HORRIBLE. My hairdresser said that red and black are the hardest to bleach out. It took hours and my hair was FRIED! It even burned my scalp while the bleach was on it.

Seriously go get a wig if you want to go blond.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I went from Jet Black to Platinum Blonde. It took over 8 hours in the color chair and fried most of my hair, which was ass length at the time. I would suggest doing it in stages... Do it one or two tones at a time with a week or so in between to help not fry your hair so much...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• They will probably strip your hair first but I agree with pp, it will totally fry your hair, maybe start with some highlights first and gradually go lighter so it's easier on your hair.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my husband is asian and had to have his hair bleached (he was being rebellious in high school...) in order to change his black hair to blonde.
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would do some blonde, not all.. but that's just me
    amymarie0315

• your going to have to get it stripped which isnt great for your hair so i wouldnt make a habit of it.
    but i love changing up my hair alot. its fun to be different. go all blonde if you want, or you can do a darker shade of blonde with blonder highlights.
    im blonde now and plan on going black for winter.. i havent done black though since i was 16. im alittle nervous because if i dont like it i will have to get it stripped immedialty and my hair will be so dried out, but oh well.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Just take a book, some snacks, an ipod....be prepared to be there awhile. They will have to use a color remover(hair bleach, and others) to get the black out. Is black your natural color? or is it colored black? That will matter as well. Your hair will be damaged, so buy some heavy duty conditioners to help with that. Good luck!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would suggest trying on a wig to see if you like the color on you first since it is a drastic change. If you like the color you should allow a proffesional to do it in stages for less damage to your hair.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 10:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I would first try just doing some highlights at first.

This way you can see how your hair is going to react to it. Just a small few.. say a t zone pattern. Black hair can be very difficult to decolorize (aka bleach aka lighten), and if it's colored black it may take longer, or may not even take, pending on what type of dye you used previously. (Like if you used Henna, you might as well forget about the idea of going blond, it's NOT going to happen, until the henna colored hair grows out).

After you see how your hair reacts, and you still want it.. you can go full on blond.

Please note.. it may take your stylist a while to get to the desired color, they have to go through 10 levels.. and it may take 2 or sometimes 3 applications of decolorizer to acheive this.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 PM on Jul. 30, 2010