Do you give strangers parenting advice?

I was recently standing in line at a book signing for one of my favorite authors and I had my two month old with me. My friend was also in line with me with her two month old as well. Both were sound asleep in their strollers as we chatted and waited our turns. Out of nowhere a woman who was leaving stopped and told me I should call a babysitter to come get my baby because I was going to be there for a while. My baby wasn't bothering anyone and I was fully prepared to tend to her every need while I was in line. So why do strangers try to offer parenting advice? If you do it, why do you do it?

Danielle720

Asked by Danielle720 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• It sounds like she was making a joke and you took it to a negative place. I would have taken the statement as she was cheerfully joking about how long she had spent in line...
    dlwsbjmknox

Answer by dlwsbjmknox at 1:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with the PP. Unless she said it in a condescending way, it sounds like it was an innocent sarcastic comment. I only give parenting advice to strangers... on here, when they ask! ;) LOL
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yep I give strangers advice!!!

Every time I answer a question here on CM (cafemom) I'm giving a stranger advice. I also ask strangers to advise me every time I post a question here on (cafemom).

I'm the same way in the non-cyber world. If someone ask I give advice (even if they are a stranger), but I don't go up and tell people what to do, unless their child did something to mine.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I GIVE ADVICE IF ASKED FOR IT, SOME PEOPLE GET WAY TO OFFENDED IF YOU JUST SAY IT
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 1:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't generally just walk up and tell them what they should be doing, but if I end up chatting with a lady and something comes up I will share my experience...the other day I was in walmart and got talking to a lady with twin 2 year olds and she said something about terrible twos and I just got out of it so we sympathized a little bit and she asked me how I got through it...I would never just walk up and start telling someone my unsolicited advice or suggestions. I agree though, people are rude about it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008