My son wont eat anything but Poptarts.

Hes almost 4 and isnt normally a picky eater. But lately all he wants is poptarts! I thought if i didnt give in and give him any then he eould aventually eat something else... Well he has gone all day without eating. I did just give him one cause he has to eat but he cant live off poptarts! Not sure what to do. Make him go hungry till he eats something else or just keep giving him poptarts?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 8:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You gave in. He learned nothing.

He can go all day without eating and not die. Put healthy food in front of him everytime and he will eventually eat unless he has some disorder that needs OT.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Very easy solution, get rid of all the pop tarts. If they aren't in the home he can't eat them. You can show him there's no more, he can watch you throw them away, whatever. Have healthy foods available to snack on and he'll eat when he's hungry. It's common at this age for them to try to control their eating because they feel they don't have any control of anything else. Start giving him options that he can choose from and let him decide. Big key here is stick to only those options. Pick out two outfits and let him decide which one, don't let him go get another one. Pick two side dishes for dinner, let him pick what he wants from what you've made. It is a phase and they do get through it. Having him help you cook will also entice him to eat what he's made. Works wonders with my three year old.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 8:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Exactly, you gave in .. He learned nothing.
    You have to put down the law. Get rid of the poptarts and only offer him healthy foods. He'll give in eventually, but you shouldn't.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• he won't starve to death.... he will eat eventually and for now get rid of the poptarts so you don't have that option
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Thats why i was asking. I have been pushing other foods but he refused to eat it. I wasnt sure if it was ok to let him go all day without eating because he doesnt want to. Thanks.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• take the poptarts, throw them out, don't buy anymore. He eats what you give him, or he doesn't eat at all. Even if he is stuborn, his human will to survive will kick in eventually and he will eat. YOU HAVE TO STOP GIVING IN!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son did this, so we had to stop buying them. He will eat. He can go on only one tsp of food per yr old he is and stay healthy at this age. He will eat, you just have to hold out longer than he does...kids are some strong willed stubborn people, but stick to your guns and you will get results. Offer him pretzels, cheese cubes, apple slices, gold fish, even a bowl of dry cheerio's You will get there!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Try this: make a healthy meal for him and set out half a poptart somewhere where he can see it but not eat it or touch it. Explain to him that if he eats what's on his plate, he can have the half poptart. Some call it bribery, I call it rewarding good behavior. ;-)
    Eventually please try to get him off of the sugary carbs completely (except for special occasions, of course). All that sugar causes issues with attention span, obesity and even attitude. Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• My son goes through phases where he won't eat much, or only wants one thing. He will say he wants something and then takes only a couple of bites before running off to play. It usually seems to happen right before a growth spurt. He'll stop eating much for a week, then the next week sleep like he hasn't slept in months, and then BAM! he'll grow a 1/2". My theory (unproven, of course) is that the growth hormones don't make him want to eat much. Maybe that's what is going on with your little guy?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Stop giving them to him; stop buying them. If he's hungry enough, he will eat something else. You can't give in if they aren't in the house.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2010