MY RWO YEAR OLD REFUSES TO GO POTTY

I HAVE TRY TELLING HER THAT SHE WILL GET BIG GIRL ITEMS. LIKE A CUP THAT DOES NOT HAVE A SPILL PROOF IN IT. I EVEN LET HER GO TO THE STORE AND PICK OUT UNDERWARE THINKING THAT IF SHE GOT TO SEE WHAT SHE COULD BE WARING INSTEAD OF THAT OLD DIAPER SHE MIGHT WANT TO DO IT. SO LOST AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

rocknmom940

Asked by rocknmom940 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have her go in with you when you go and make a big deal out of it. "look, Mommy went potty in the potty like a big girl!!" Don't tey to force her, just let her see you are doing it & she may want to try.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Is she just not ready yet? Does she sit on the potty at all? You could try waiting a month and seeing if anything changes,..
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 8:35 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• She's getting a lot of attention from you by not going potty. She will begin training when she's ready. Both of my two youngest kids told me when they wanted to start potty training. I pushed it with my older two and neither of them were trained until at least 3 1/2. There's no keeping up with the jones's when it comes to potty training. It's a slow gradual process that the child directs. Back off, let her know when she wants to try all the stuff is ready and leave it at that.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 8:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Do you have her go and try every 30 minutes? It worked for mine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I just started with my daughter and we've gone naked all week. It only takes a few accidents and they prefer the potty over urine running down the leg! Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Maybe she not ready. My son decided and potty trained within 2 weeks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My son is three and just decided he wanted to potty train. Before he didn't care for rewards or even about going around in wet pants. Just this week he went to the potty when he needed to go and has been since. She might not be ready yet.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• How 'two' is she? Is she just two? She may not be ready. Does she complain about solid diapers? Can pull pants on and off? There's a list on some of the diaper web sites about readiness cues, actually. Check them out - does she meet them? If she does, find her hot button. My DS did not care about underwear or any of that stuff. He *did* care about preschool which we had planned on sending him too at 3 already and which required diaper-free status. We toured the school with him and he loved it. When we left the tour we told him that he had to be using the potty all the time to go - the following week he was fully out of diapers. That was *his* hot button. It's not every kid's. My point is simply to find what her button is. More imporantly though, relax. When it becomes a stressful thing on you - it becomes a great power-play for them. It becomes a no-win battle for you both. (cont in next box)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:19 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We had a "potty chair" but neither of kids liked it. They preferred the seat over the real toilet. If they climed up on it, we praised them like crazy. We let them follow us around into the bathroom (joy, what fun, yes) and let them flush. When she does make an attempt, even if she's late getting there or doesn't go much when she does get there, praise her wildly. Let her call someone special - we would call poor Dad at work and grandparents: all of whom managed to muster wild enthusiasm. LOL! Try a few small, very special toys and put them on a shelf or space in the bathroom she can see but not reach. Tell her when she uses the potty the first time, she gets one. When she uses it for a week straight she gets another, etc.

Mostly, though, take a deep breath. She is NOT going to college in diapers. She's not even going to go to kindergarten in diapers. It's going to come together. Give her time to work it out without stress
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:24 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GOOD ADVICE. I WILL BE PUTTING SOME OF THEM TO THE TEST TO SEE IF THEY WORK FOR HER OR NOT. I WILL KEEP U ALL POSTED. COULD IT BE THAT IM ABOUT TO HAVE A NOTHER BABY AND SHE DOES WANT TO FEEL LIKE SHE IS NOT THE BABY ANY MORE, I BEEN THINKING ABOUT THAT ALOT.
    rocknmom940

Comment by rocknmom940 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jul. 30, 2010