how hard was it

With your second child? I am talking about the lack of sleep part because with my first i could sleep when he slept, but this time it won't be that easy because I will have a two year old that i have to be up with all day. Does anyone have any advice or just reassurance for me?
I won't have ANY help because my husband works 60 or more hours a week and no family help.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My children are 13 months apart. A one year old and a nine month old.
    They were on the same schedule from the beginning. When my daughter was born she was always put down for a nap when my son was. She didn't sleep as long, but she always went back to sleep easily. That made it easier on me to take a nap.

If your two year old doesn't take naps then here are my suggestions...
    If you have a playroom, then baby proof it, put a gate in the doorway and let him play for an hour while you nap. Make sure you have a monitor or are in hearing distance of him. Then you'll be able to nap and everyone will be safe. You can also try quiet time with him. See if he'll snuggle on the couch with you while you two watch a movie (you nap).

Just find ways that work for your family. It'll be rough at first, but you know your kids better then we would, and it'll get easier to figure out a good schedule. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It all goes by so quickly, you will survive!

Answer by older at 8:41 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• yeah, i am in the same boat as you with the whole no help situation lol. but it was not as hard as i thought it would be. does your 2yo take naps still? i tried to get them both on roughly the same schedule and we all took a nap in the afternoon. that helped alot. now i have 3 and i have them all on the same schedule too (well the 5yo doesn't nap anymore lol). don't worry, it's not gonna be as hard as you think. and start training the 2yo now to be useful.... get diapers, throw diaper away, put onesies and pj's where they can reach them.... that came in real handy lol. gl and congrats!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I have a 3 year & a 3 month old. I am alone 24/7 because my husband works out of state. I got lucky though, dd2 is a much better sleeper the dd1 was!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My second child only woke up once during the night for the first 5 weeks (he went to bed at 10, woke up at 2 then sleep til 6) and after 5 weeks, began sleeping thru the night (10pm to 5:30am).
    Here's to hoping you get the same!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• My second child was a sleeper. I was lucky. When I was tired I would take a nap with my toddler at his normal nap time.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my first was like that he woke up 2 times a night for the first month or so and was sleeping through the night by about 6 weeks. I hope it will be that easy again but i have a feeling it wont
    mrsbean08

Comment by mrsbean08 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• You'll be ok. It does go by so fast. My kids are two years apart also. Not sure if it was my expierence with already being a mom, but my second was a lot easier too. He is 16 today! My baby boy, all grown up. What I wouldnt give to be rocking him in a rocking chair again, in his little footie pjs. But, hey I got an amazing kid...thats what we pray for!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Well, for the first few weeks, the baby will sleep a lot and will probably sleep while your toddler naps so all 3 of you can get a nap then. Co-sleeping might not be a bad option for night time. I wish I could help more. With my 2nd, my husband was able to work from home for the first month, and my 3 year old was in daycare so we continued to send him so we could keep his spot (and keep him on his normal routine as much as possible.) Oh and my 2nd also started sleeping through the night much earlier than my first (4.5 weeks) although now at almost 6 months she's decided she wants to wake up again (teething).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2010