I am a I wrong here?

SO and I are having a party for DSS. Well I had asked his mother to bring water and chips. HELLO we are doing every thing else right now. We have bought every thing. She supposedly has a lawyer with no job but says she cant (more or less is refusing) to bring stuff. Am I wrong to say if you can afford a lawyer then you can afford to bring chips and water for your child's birthday party??

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just try to take it with a grain of salt. Don't get yourself all worked up about it. Just smile and nod. What else can you do? You can't MAKE her go buy the stuff. Even if it does seem really crappy that she won't (or can't) pitch in. I guess try to think of it as..well..if she shows up, thats better than nothing. Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:02 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Why would anyone need to bring anything for your kids' birthday party? You said yourself you bought everything else, so buy the chips. It's YOUR kid. Not hers.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• It's not wrong of you to think it, but to say it would be stooping to her level. If she doesn't want to bring anything, that just makes her look that much "better". Btw, I think it's very wonderful of you and your husband to even invite her. Most people just have separate parties, so that in itself is showing that you two are the better people.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:07 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• dont worry about it! if she cant spend 5 dollars on her kids birthday then she is worthless! just be happy if she even shows up! good luck! and good for u for taking care of her kid!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• SaraP1989 she is their birth mother. I am the step mom!
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I guess she figures you guys are giving her the party,YOU pay for it all. Sad i know....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• well she should be ashamed of herself.... chips literally cost a dollar and a jug of water is about the same. but then again it's her who is looking bad.... so let her carry that burden. i hope she shows, she sounds like the type of person to disappoint

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Oh. I was thinking it was your SO's mother.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Who planned the party? When you throw a party, you are responsible for the details, not anyone else. Not every family member thinks parties are important. Yeah, it would be nice of others to help (and you would THINK a child's mom would, wouldn't you?), but they are not obligated. (I am speaking as someone who could NEVER count on help from family members with our parties- even the big ones like high school graduations or wedding, etc. My mom doesn't even attend any of our important events or acknowledge them with so much as a card!)
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:34 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• No you are not wrong BUT the thing about parents is that sometimes they care more about themselves than the well being of the child, I.e she really needs the lawyer so her sons birthday (which is already being financed) can wait... tell her she cant come at all if she cant stop at dollar freakin general and get a bag of dollar doritos
    Mommy4EVER2HJ

Answer by Mommy4EVER2HJ at 10:25 AM on Jul. 30, 2010