Can you give me a piece of mind, please?

I feel like a crazy person when it comes to my son falling asleep at night. He is 5 months old and can roll into his belly but not his back. Every time I put him to sleep he automatically rolls over onto his belly (he has been doing this for over a month now). I am okay with him sleeping on his stomach but most of the time he sleeps with his face right down into the mattress. So after the first time I walked into his room and saw him like that it terrified me! Now I am driving my husband crazy and myself because I get up to check on him every single time I hear him move in the monitor. I just want to make sure he is not sleeping face down or into the bumper. Can you please put my mind at ease so I can sleep better! Will he wake up if he can't breathe? He can't roll over onto his back yet so once he is on his belly, he's stuck.

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try boxing him in with rolled up receiving blankets. SIDS is actually caused by the child not having the signal from the brain to tell them to wake and struggle when the airway is cut off. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing which kids lack the response.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Both BOTH of my sons sleep or slept in the corner of the bumper pad. Even when the pad was taken out, which you may be doing soon when they start to pull on it anyways, they continued to sleep with their head and face all smashed up against the corner. Is it your first baby? I was pretty terrified the first time around too. More so at the beginning. As for the tummy, yeah, the first we put on his tummy at 4 months and the second from day one at home. He can still roll his head around. My son sleeps with his face down, but on his hands sometimes....make sense? He will be okay.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• try using sleep positioners
    icanbeabitch

Answer by icanbeabitch at 9:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my daughter is the same way! i worried for a while too then i found out if she wakes up and cant move then she cries so i just roll her over and back to sleep she goes! if u want to be safe make sure no blankets and toy and ect are in the crib and get breathable bumpers (thats wat i did! walmart has them on line) and then he should be fine! my daughter has her hands under her forhead so she can still kinda breath but i still worry so i check on her when ever i wake up during the night its just the mom in me!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think if he is strong enough to roll on his belly he will be able to lift his head to breathe. He will be fine. Once they start rolling over there is nothing you can do about it. Don't put anything in his crib with him like blankets or stuffed animals. I must admit when My dd started sleeping on her belly I was concerned and that is normal, but I was also reassured she would be fine.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• he can't roll onto his back but he can move his head momma. if it would make you feel better you could get a mesh bumper. they are fine to put their face up against. lol i tested it myself and had no problem breathing through that. but my second son always slept with his face in the corner of his (padded) bumper. and about the sleeping on the tummy thing, the ped. assured me that once they can roll onto their belly they can stay there. don't worry ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Once they start rolling onto their stomachs by themselves the risk of SIDS lowers (note, I did say lowers, not disappears). It is still recommended that you do NOT put anything into their cribs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I wish I could tell you not to worry but the fact of the matter is you are a mother and therefore you will worry! Motherhood and crazy should go hand in hand. I experienced a great deal of anxiety over this when my twins were babies, and then again when my daughter was born, and again with my son. It's just one thing I was afraid to risk. You are obviously a loving, caring mother and all I can really offer you is hope that the "crazy" worry of motherhood will end, but then as mothers we'll find something NEW to worry about. Good luck and the worry does subside a little.
    mama51005

Answer by mama51005 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• All of my babies were sleeping on my tummy at 4 months old. It drove me insane, but I just couldn't keep them on their backs. If I caught them on their belly I would turn them over. But 90% of the time when it was time to eat, the would wake up on their belly. I just didn't want to put more stuff in the crib. (blankets and such) Don't worry mama, baby will be fine.
    hperezzle

Answer by hperezzle at 9:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• my son did that too. i realized that even with his face down, he was still breathing and then when he couldnt breath, he would pick his face up and put it to the side. but alls babys are different so idk.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010