How can I get my 4 year old fully potty trained? adult content

Ok I have 3 and a 4 year old boys. I started potty training both of them around the same time. My 3 yr old is fully trained. My 4 year old pees in the potty but will not poop in the potty at all! I have tried everything! I put him in big boy underwear, I have done rewards, I have watched him like a hawk. I do notice that when he is going he either is outside, or just really quiet or hiding. I can never seem to catch him in the act. He went on his own once. He just walked in there and did it, without any help, and I made a HUGE deal out of it. Since then he hasn't done it again... Any tips? Thank you :o)

hperezzle

Asked by hperezzle at 9:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He'll do it in his own time. I say keep him in the underwear and maybe don't make such a big deal about it. He has an accident clean it up quickly with little discussion but let him see you put the mess in the potty, put him back in underwear and keep doing the same thing. when he goes just say thank you for using the potty not "what a good/big/smart boy". Kids are smart and they know when they have the control, this is something they have absolute control over. Instead of adding pressure let him take pride in choosing to do what is best.
    mama51005

Answer by mama51005 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Keep trying. We bribed our soon with a hot wheels everytime.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/pottytrainingrefusals.htm

This is now a power struggle for him. He will keep doing this as long as he knows it is making you nuts! Let him have all the control and responsibility, tell him his poop belongs to him only, but if it comes out in his pants, then he is the only one going to clean it up. Most kids don't like this idea. Lovingly..never scolding, hand him clean clothes, baby wipes and a plastic bag and make him clean himself up. There are many websites with potty resistant ideas just google it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:54 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We had this problem. My husband and I just talked him through it. We also told him that when he is ready to poop on the potty we will be waiting. WE just let him make that decision and within a week he had it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I just got my daughter Potty traid and she just turned four. I went and decided no more pull ups. I put regular underware on her and when she would cry and want a pull up on I said no and made her go and sit on the potty. It took a month but now she is almost fully potty trained. She is potty trained day and night for peeing but she has constipation problems so she still poops in her panties but I just clean her up and just remind her she needs to try to make it to the potty. I know its really hard but he will end up doing it. When he does go potty praise him for doing a good job. And another thing I did that worked is instead of rewarding him for going potty every time just do it at the end of the day. Also have him pick something out at the store that he really really want and tell him he can have it if he goes 2 weeks without having a accedent. Thats what we did with Paige and it worked great
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• We bought 30 hot wheels (not neccessarily brand new) and put them in a bag. Each day that he went without an accident he got to pick out another car. When the bag was empty we took him to Chuck E. Cheese's. If he had an accident he had to put one car back in the bag. The reason for this is because it takes 30 consecutive days of doing something to make it a habit. Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 8:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Thanks Mamas! :o)
    hperezzle

Comment by hperezzle (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Reward him and get excited when he goes
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2010