Do you watch "If You Really Knew Me"?

On MTV? if you dont I recommend it. I think this show has the power to change lives, if we support it.
I was curious to see how many others are watching. It doesn't matter if you CURRENTLY have a teen-because any one of us who has a child lol, well one day they will be a teen.
and this show, it shows what that is like for them.

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 9:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• i watched one episode. it was interesting.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I watched the first one and that was enough for me. I think it is a good think that they are trying to do but really some of those kids were just well... stupid. There was a girl crying becasue she was rich or something, and one girl who cuts herself for no reason. i don't even know where to start. I use to cut my self too but there was a reason behind it..
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• never heard of it. but then again, i dont watch mtv
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I find it hysterical. All the hugging and crying, and a week later everything goes back to exactly how it was the day before the "counselors" arrived at school. Same way it worked when I was in high school. There are even comments posted to the videos from some of the kids at the schools in the show saying as much. Some of them you can see it right on their faces - that they're trying to fake their way through it. By the end of the year expect at least one of the "shocking revelations" to end up being facebook fodder at each school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• NP- I feel sorry for you that you see NO hope in the show.
    isnt ONE day of compassion and empathy better than none?
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No what is it about?
    wildcatamber23

Answer by wildcatamber23 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

How pathetic of you. I feel sorry for you that you are so easily manipulated by a flashy tv show to think it actually made a difference. Go read the comments from the kids who actually participated - it did nothing. What's worse, is it put some of those kids in a vulnerable situation where they revealed personal info that can and will be exploited by the "mean girl" types at some point along the way. You think the fat kid had it bad before? Wait until some bitchy cheerleader starts a rumor on fb that he tried to kill himself because he mentioned feeling suicidal on Challenge Day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:01 AM on Jul. 30, 2010

• wow NP- way to get personal, oh well. :) good luck with that cynical parenting. :)
    to the mom who asked what it is, it is basically a challenge day. They go in to a high school and try to break down barriers. The research I have done has shown the social atmosphere of the 2 high schools so far has improved greatly! But again, one day of compassion is sometimes all it takes. :)
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010