Would you change your children's last name too ?

My husband and the father of my 2 children passed away 2 years ago ( when I was pregnant with our son, & our daughter was 1 1/2 years old). When we first got married and had our daughter he was a great man, but after I got pregnant again he turned into a mentally abusive person who refused to acknowledge me or our children.

Now I have fallen deeply in love with another man who the kids call daddy. We are engaged and getting married in October. I am taking his last name and so are the kids, even if we do not work out he still will take care of the kids as if they are his ( which is how he sees them).

Now the kids father's family found out and even though we havent heard anything from them since he died, they are mad that I am changing the kid's names. I understand maybe being a little hurt but to actually threaten to do legal action ( not sure what they can do?) is crazy, do you think I am in the wrong ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think its a good idea for you all to have the same name. Your ex husband's family has no leg to stand on in this matter.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• nope, I think what you want to do is a great idea and good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I think you should continue with your plans and have a wonderful life witrh your family.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• No your not wrong. I don't think his family can stop you. I had a friend who's ex was still alive and she changed her daughter's last name to her current husband's. The daughter was a bit older, like 7 or 8. The daughter was completely fine with it and was happy since she didn't really care much about her bio father. I can understand the family being upset, but if they have had little to no contact with the kids since his death, then why are they coming out now? It will be so much easier for the kids, IMO. I think it would be tough to have a completely different last name than your mom and "dad."
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010