when will my milk dry up?

it's been 4 days and my boobs have just started to become engorged, swollen, and leaky. i've been leaking so much milk that it leaves huge stains on my shirts as well as my tight padded bras. i'm doing everything the doc told me to do, wearing a tight bra, not touching my nipples, facing away from the water in the shower, and putting ice packs on them. how long til the swelling goes down and my boobs stop leaking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jul. 29, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes it is helpful to restrict your fluids just for a day or two. If engorgment is really hurting put some gren cabbage leaves cold from the fridge in your bra. Change them when they get wilty. It sounds strange but it really does work.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:50 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Hard to say. Breasts were never designed to suddenly stop lactating. Nature meant for the demand for milk to gradually decrease over YEARS.

Most women stop having so much pain and swelling in a week, sometimes two. Many women never fully stop lactating, though, especially those who wean suddenly.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• I second the cabbage thing. Also, try sudafed. It helped me dry up my milk when my second son weaned.

I stopped nursing/pumping June 5th and I still have milk. Not much but it's there. I'm not engorged or anything though.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 9:52 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• There are some milk drying products out there but I cant remember the names. It just takes time...days. There is an old wives tale advice that works. cabbage leaves are cold and nice and round to provide relief. One of my firends actually ace bandaged herself with pads beneath but I don't know how far you wanna take this. good luck
    sirenite

Answer by sirenite at 9:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Mind if I ask why your trying to dry it up? If its none of my business please let me know.. Cabbage leaves just help them feel better. Antihistamines (benadryl) will clear you up quick. It dries up body fluids and breast milk is just a body fluid.

lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2010

• Dont wear tight clothing though. It will cause a plugged duct and can lead to mastitis.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:55 PM on Jul. 29, 2010