Alcohol and breastfeeding

I am breastfeeding my two and a half month old son. Some girlfriends of mine want me to go out and have a few drinks with them. Do I need to pump and dump before I can feed my son? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nickysmomma08

Asked by Nickysmomma08 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you drink you have to pump and dump for 24 hours afterwards.
    Anonymous

• I have been told that if you only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine you are ok to continue breastfeeding. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but was told by a nurse.
    jiara1

Answer by jiara1 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I was told 2 hours for every 1 drink by my doctor.
    happymommyofTJ

Answer by happymommyofTJ at 2:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• here....facts instead of everyones opinions.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• feed and pump before you go out, and then while you are out, have your last drink about two hours before you breastfeed again, anything that your baby might/could get, will be residue, granted, in having a couple of drinks, thats about it, just a couple.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You do NOT need to pump and dump. That will not do anything. Alcohol leaves your breastmilk the same as it leaves your blood. A good rule of thumb is if you are ok to drive you are ok to nurse.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You dont have to pump and dump if your okay with your baby drinking alcohol, but if you would rather NOT give that to your baby's new little body, pump and dump for 24 hours.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2008