my husband and i just got custody of his only 6yr old nephew since april (his mother passed away in march) the thing that bother's us a lot is he likes to show off his "peepers" how do i explain to him that is inappropiate? just to keep in mind we don't have any of our own children and this is new to us

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry, but what are peepers?
    Anonymous

• his private area
    vam3283

Answer by vam3283 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'm assuming you mean his private area? =) Just explain that his body is special to him and only him. It's not nice to show others because it's private. He's old enough to understand but it might take a few reminders until he really learns. This is a perfect time to also teach him that NO ONE (except you ~ if you help him bathe) may touch it or see it. Everyone has special parts that they keep to themselves and keep hidden (like a secret).

Good luck and give him time, he'll get it. =) Thank you so much for loving him enough to be his new parents!!
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If it's an area covered by a swimsuit, it's private. It's OK for him to touch it or look at it, but it's not OK to show it to other people just because he wants to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Don't make a big deal out of it, he's doing it for the reaction. A 6 yr old knows he should be flashing his weiner in public! Just let him know that it's unacceptable and if he keeps on doing it you will start taking his privledges away, then DO it. He'll keep the mouse in the house. He's just testing his limits. All kids do.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I told my nephew that like all big people, he's only to let two people see his private area. The doctor and himself. That's why they call those parts private. I said it matter of fact, without showing shame or letting him think he should be ashamed. I never said it was naughty or anything like that. He listened.

Anonymous

• Just stay on top and let him know you don't find it acceptable. I agree with other ones he may be doing it for attention. Testing you both. Stay firm. Good luck as parents it can be so awarding.
    Deb128

Answer by Deb128 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2008